News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Ads featuring generic domain names attract more clicks
Using a generic domain name in PPC ads attracts more clicks than when a non-generic domain name is used, according to a recent study by U.K.-based domain retailer Memorable Domains.
A generic domain name describes a product or service using the words an Internet user would typically associate with the topic. The benefits of generic domain names are that they attract more search engine clicks (both organic and paid) for product and service searches. Why? Because, according to Memorable Domains:
- The close association between search terms and domain name encourages searchers to click.
- The presence of search terms in the domain name leads to higher organic rankings or a better ad quality score in pay-per-click ad ranking algorithms.
- Search engines commonly automatically bold any word in the domain name that matches the search term, drawing eyeballs to the listing.
To test the theory, Memorable Domains ran some trials using three ads identical in every way except each containing a different domain name:
- Electricbicycles.co.uk (generic with a product match)
- YourBikes.co.uk (alternative generic name)
- InAHurry.co.uk (non-generic name)
The test results (.pdf) supported the theory that generic domain names perform best. In this case, Electricbicycles.co.uk was the best performer with a CTR 42% better than the non-generic version and 15% better than the alternative generic domain.
- Accenture: Execs have tech, need talent to make sense of data
- Study: More people working on home To-Dos from work
- Study: Mobile users will wait
- SendGrid launches email service
- IAB UK: Fashion retailers perform best in mobile marketing
- Mobile offers, coupons big draw for Dads
- Cardiff University beats prestigious Oxford in online presence stakes
- Report: SMBs missing out on mobile commerce
Featured White Papers
- 8 Key Plays For Sales Success
Pull ahead of your competition by learning best practices for incorporating these new technologies into your daily sales & marketing...
- How to Drive More Traffic Without Increasing Budget
Counterfeiters are adept at mimicking top brands' digital marketing strategies by building pay per click (PPC) campaigns that exploit both...
- Explain What You Do: How a simple explainer video increased online conversion by 20%
In this case study we examine the explainer video for Inbenta, a natural language processing service operating in a highly...
- 7 Reasons To Consider Responsive Design For Your Companys Next Generation Website
In this white paper, learn the 7 reasons to consider responsive design for your company's next generation website. With the...
- Forrester Report: Digital Customer Experience Trends to Watch 2013
Digital touchpoints support an increasingly large percentage of the overall customer experience. 2012 saw the emergence of several important digital...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Beyond Last Touch: Understanding Campaign Effectiveness
Understanding what drives customers to take action is critical to your advertising investments. However, with a flood of available metrics...