News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
MTV Networks: Quality, not coolness, attracts youth to brands
Young adults value a brand's quality over its coolness, according to new research by MTV Networks.
Marketing a brand as "cool" doesn't necessarily cut the mustard with the youth of today, found MTV Networks' "A Beta Life Youth" survey which analyzed how young people use television, the Internet and other platforms to inform themselves about particular products and brands before making purchases.
It seems young adults across the globe have a rather more mature and practical approach to choosing brands. "Good quality" was cited by 81% as being a consideration for selecting a desirable brand, followed by trustworthiness (63%), "works well" (56%) and "good for a long time" (51%).
Bottom of the list of considerations were authenticity (38%), "cool image" (40%) and popularity (41%).
The survey, which involved young adults from the USA, UK, Japan, Germany and India, found that the majority now turn to the Internet to research products before making a purchase. Indian youths were the most likely to do so (87%) followed by German (80%), British (63%), Japanese (60%) and American (58%).
Nearly three-quarters (71%) agreed that the Internet makes choosing a brand easier and that blogs, review sites and social networking sites are increasingly important in affecting brand decisions.
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
Featured White Papers
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...