News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
WeddingMapper.com debuts auction based ad platform
Despite the down economy there is one spending category that likely won't take a tremendous hit in the coming year: weddings. Why? Because women plan for their big day for years and simply aren't willing to skimp. To that end online wedding planning site WeddingMapper.com has launched an auction based advertising platform which could help wedding-based businesses stay afloat.
The platform works like this: a business bids for low cost advertising space on local websites to reach wedding-minded couples. There are about 10,000 local websites in the WeddingMapper network; the business then sets a budget for the campaign and then places bids against other local vendors in similar markets. The top three bidders in each market are given premium ad space.
How is this better than an existing model? Because of the 'similar market' strategy. In many wedding based services prices are based on similar regions rather than cities. As all marketers know there are very few regions with similar income and spending ratios so basing this on comparable cities makes more sense and can help marketers hold down their budgets.
Although many wedding businesses - such as florists and caterers - will want to remain ultra local, other wedding businesses - such as stationers or gown retailers - can afford to spread their advertising wings a bit more for the possibility of engaging more consumers.
- Expert: Why surveys may not offer all advertisers' questions
- Expert: Look for native to continue strong growth
- U.S. in-store and mobile retail experience found wanting
- Brits more interested in smart home tech than wearable tech
- Is TripAdvisor a gateway app?
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships to increase viewability, deflate fraud
- Expert: The most important social metrics for brands
- Smartphones reach new milestone in U.S.
Featured White Papers