News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
The NPD Group: Marked increase in digital music sales
Cost-effectiveness and convenience is contributing the demise of the CD and a rise in digital music sales, according to new research from The NPD Group.
Last year saw a dramatic drop in the number of CD buyers, compared to 2007, according to NPD's annual Digital Music Study. While the number of Internet users paying for digital music rose by over 8 million to 36 million, and purchases of digital music downloads rose by 29%, sales of CDs fell 19%. NPD found the biggest drop in CD sales was among teens and those ages 50 and older.
Not all CD sales were lost to the Internet. The report notes that the total number of music buyers was down as consumers kept a close eye on their wallets, a symptom of the down economy.
Also apparent from the study was that many of the 4,000 people surveyed were looking to digital downloads as a means to purchase single tracks, rather than having to purchase an entire album - a double-whammy of cost saving and convenience.
"The trends we're seeing in our consumer tracking studies are evidence of the continued transformation of the music industry," said Russ Crupnick, NPD's entertainment industry analyst. "Just as music piracy and the advent of digital music ended the primacy of the CD, we are beginning to see new forms of listening challenge the practice of paying for music."
"The music industry now has to redouble efforts to intercept and engage these listeners, so they can create revenue through up-selling music, videos, concert tickets and related merchandise."
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...