News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Merkle: Consumers value relevant and timely email
Americans are willing to receive emails from more companies than ever before, according to a new study from Merkle, providing opportunities for email marketers to get their messages heard.
The average number of companies from which Americans choose to receive email has risen from 9 to 10, found Merkle. However, despite this slight rise, there are conditions. Too many emails and a lack of relevance will turn consumers off, found the study.
Merkle's 2009 email marketing study, "View from the Inbox", shows that the foremost reasons subscribers choose to opt-out of permission email continue to be lack of relevance (75%), followed by sending emails too often (73%).
The low cost and high measurability of email marketing makes it a popular choice with marketers in an economy where accountability if king. This, however, is leading to overcrowded inboxes.
To stand out in a crowded inbox and gain consumer trust, marketers need to ensure their emails are highly relevant and provide value. Merkle's study found that consumers will actively ensure they receive emails from companies they know will provide them with value and relevance. So much so that 53% of consumers who have opted-in to receive commercial email have added at least one company to their address book.
"Our annual study shows that marketers must be careful not to overstep their boundaries and stick with relevant communications and appropriate timing or risk losing the trust that they have established with their customers," said Lori Connolly, director of research and analytics in Merkle's Interactive Solutions group.
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
- Report: In social the ladies rule the world
- Research reveals consumers juggle multiple devices throughout the day
- Getty Images makes millions of images free to embed
- Americans abandon purchases in-store after 8 minutes waiting in line
- Euclid: February sales less than lovely
- How BrightTag re-engaged shoppers
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....