News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Merkle: Consumers value relevant and timely email
Americans are willing to receive emails from more companies than ever before, according to a new study from Merkle, providing opportunities for email marketers to get their messages heard.
The average number of companies from which Americans choose to receive email has risen from 9 to 10, found Merkle. However, despite this slight rise, there are conditions. Too many emails and a lack of relevance will turn consumers off, found the study.
Merkle's 2009 email marketing study, "View from the Inbox", shows that the foremost reasons subscribers choose to opt-out of permission email continue to be lack of relevance (75%), followed by sending emails too often (73%).
The low cost and high measurability of email marketing makes it a popular choice with marketers in an economy where accountability if king. This, however, is leading to overcrowded inboxes.
To stand out in a crowded inbox and gain consumer trust, marketers need to ensure their emails are highly relevant and provide value. Merkle's study found that consumers will actively ensure they receive emails from companies they know will provide them with value and relevance. So much so that 53% of consumers who have opted-in to receive commercial email have added at least one company to their address book.
"Our annual study shows that marketers must be careful not to overstep their boundaries and stick with relevant communications and appropriate timing or risk losing the trust that they have established with their customers," said Lori Connolly, director of research and analytics in Merkle's Interactive Solutions group.
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...