News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Merkle: Consumers value relevant and timely email
Americans are willing to receive emails from more companies than ever before, according to a new study from Merkle, providing opportunities for email marketers to get their messages heard.
The average number of companies from which Americans choose to receive email has risen from 9 to 10, found Merkle. However, despite this slight rise, there are conditions. Too many emails and a lack of relevance will turn consumers off, found the study.
Merkle's 2009 email marketing study, "View from the Inbox", shows that the foremost reasons subscribers choose to opt-out of permission email continue to be lack of relevance (75%), followed by sending emails too often (73%).
The low cost and high measurability of email marketing makes it a popular choice with marketers in an economy where accountability if king. This, however, is leading to overcrowded inboxes.
To stand out in a crowded inbox and gain consumer trust, marketers need to ensure their emails are highly relevant and provide value. Merkle's study found that consumers will actively ensure they receive emails from companies they know will provide them with value and relevance. So much so that 53% of consumers who have opted-in to receive commercial email have added at least one company to their address book.
"Our annual study shows that marketers must be careful not to overstep their boundaries and stick with relevant communications and appropriate timing or risk losing the trust that they have established with their customers," said Lori Connolly, director of research and analytics in Merkle's Interactive Solutions group.
- "Fat" ads slowing down publishers' websites
- IoT making impact on business but barriers remain
- CPG brands spending more on digital ads than traditional
- Mobile video content more effective on publishers' website than social
- Email open rate in UK higher on tablets than US
- IAB: No YoY rise in UK ad-blocking
- Report: Over half of Millennials have or will use Bots
- Report: Finances key to engaging Boomers
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...