News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Major in-game ad firm struggling
Even though video gaming has, thus far, been recession resilient, one of the industry's major in-game advertising companies is in trouble.
There is much debate around whether IGA Worldwide's rumored revenue problems are self-inflicted or a symptom of an ailing economy, but the fact remains that the company is struggling and seeking investment or a sale.
The company is one of many that enable ads to be displayed inside games. Inserted dynamically, the ads can be displayed in a variety of locations including billboards, vehicles or even blimps. Competitors include Microsoft's Massive and Double Fusion.
IGA Worldwide's in-game advertising networking reaches over 30 million gamers across four gaming platforms - Mac, PC, Flash and the PS3.
According to CEO Justin Townsend, the recession has taken its toll on ad budgets and he felt it was nearly impossible for the company to achieve its projected revenue figures.
Cnet's Dave Rosenberg feels there are larger issues at play, such as a lack of standards, a dearth of success stories and limited vendor options.
"The bigger issue is that in-game advertising is not like other mediums and requires the industry as a whole to mature," wrote Rosenberg. "The current problem is that every in-game advertisement is a custom project. You can't just pop in text or graphics as you do with an ad network such as Google or Yahoo and have it appear correctly in a video game."
- Value of price comparison providers revealed
- Commuters highly engaged and active mobile audience for brands, retailers
- We2 to connect NYC's retailers and consumers via 'social WiFi'
- Consumers rate email as most relevant and accurate of all channels
- Research: Silver surfers feel undervalued by retailers
- Global PC sales fall for sixth consecutive quarter
- Releases evaluate content, make file sharing simpler
- Responsys: Mobile pushing conversions
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...