News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Consumers now use search engines over Yellow Pages
Almost a third of local business searches are now carried out online, according to a comScore study sponsored by TMP Directional Marketing, making search engines a primary source for seeking local services.
TMPDM's second annual Local Search Consumer Usage Study found that print Yellow Pages has been overtaken by search engines as the first place to turn to when looking for local businesses. In fact, about 30% of local business searchers now spend the majority of their time searching online instead of offline, up from 26% in 2007.
Last year, print Yellow Pages ranked first with 33% trailed by search engines at 30% - this year search engines rank first with 31% closely followed by print Yellow/White Pages (30%), online Yellow Page-type sites (19%) and local search sites (11%).
"As consumer local search grows with online and offline resources, national advertisers must develop strategic plans for integrating the various mediums into their national programs," said Gregg Stewart, senior vice president of interactive, TMPDM, in a recent announcement.
"Our 2008 study again confirms that consumers do a majority of research online, but continue to make purchases offline with a phone call or in-store visit. In addition, marketers need to pay close attention to mobile search and sites that offer consumer user reviews, as they are growing in popularity."
Despite Yellow Pages experiencing a usage decline of 3% from 2007 to 2008, 90% of those surveyed cited Yellow Pages directories as a valuable source of business information.
- Report: Email, mobile key to retail success
- Expert: Data key for financial campaigns
- "Fat" ads slowing down publishers' websites
- IoT making impact on business but barriers remain
- CPG brands spending more on digital ads than traditional
- Mobile video content more effective on publishers' website than social
- Email open rate in UK higher on tablets than US
- IAB: No YoY rise in UK ad-blocking
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...