News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Lifespan of mobile apps found wanting
Mobile phone applications, or 'apps', are increasingly popular with brand marketers and consumers are snapping them up, but new research has found that their lifespan is very limited.
Instead of bland WAP banner ads and location-based text ads, brand marketers are developing mobile apps to engage consumers and immerse them in a branded environment. Apps take the form of games, information services (weather, health, finance) or plain gimmickry as in British beer brand Carling's iPhone iPint.
But don't expect consumers to spend too long interacting with these apps, says Pinch Media. The company, whose analytics engine can be used to track the performance of participating iPhone apps, found that just 30% of people purchasing iPhone apps use them the next day, and free apps fare worse with just 20%.
It gets worse over time. The study, "AppStore Secrets - What We've Learned From 30,000,000 Downloads', found that less than 5% of iPhone users are still actively using an app a month after downloading it. After 90 days that figure hovers around the 1% mark.
In terms of the potential for mobile advertising via apps, Pinch Media concluded that currently less than 5% of applications on the AppStore are suitable for advertising, in terms of generating a return. "In other words, unless there's something inherent about the app that screams 'free', sell it," advises Pinch Media in a slide show of their findings, and only release an ad supported version if the data strongly suggests a developer has a 'sticky' app.
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
- Five-fold YoY growth in contactless payment use in UK
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...