News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Less than half of marketing pro's use analytics
With the number of channels a marketer has to manage and monitor increasing, you'd think technology would be employed to make their job easier. Not so. It seems marketers are foregoing analytics to measure their online marketing campaigns, found analytical-led software firm Alterian in its sixth 'Annual Marketing Survey'.
When asked about their use of measurement applications, less than half (47%) of the 1,545 American and British marketing professionals polled by Alterian said they currently use analytics to measure their online campaigns. Even so, 62% of respondents plan to increase online spending.
"With the current economic climate, it is refreshing to see results that show businesses investing in areas that can directly drive sales--essential in this marketing," said Alterian's CEO, David Eldridge, in a statement. "What is less encouraging is the low number of marketers who use analytics to evaluate and refine their campaigns."
The survey also found that 25% of respondents believe that analyzing results is the most difficult part of a campaign and that businesses use multiple applications to measure success will little, or no, integration. A quarter use more than seven applications on campaigns and just over half use between three and six applications.
"Multichannel marketing is commonplace in 2009, but the challenge for marketers is to measure the value and draw results across these various systems in order to provide a true picture of ROI back to the business," said Eldridge.
Results of another survey, this time from the Chief Marketing Officer Council (CMO), found marketers are also left wanting when it comes to monitoring and tracking social media conversations, despite acknowledging its growing importance.
- Survey: Productivity software helping SMBs communicate
- How to use community Q&A to increase your reach
- How to use organic social posts to reach non-fans
- Keyword carelessness inhibiting UK travel brands' discoverability in App Store
- Android ahead of iOS in mobile ad traffic
- BrightRoll, Marketron announcements offer more measurement
- Study: SMBs turning to multi-channel to engage
- Young adults more likely to Facebook their dining experience than review it
Featured White Papers
- "Abandon Cart Emails" - Why We Don't Buy
For this paper, sponsored by Magento and Bronto Software, over 1,000 online shoppers were surveyed about their awareness of shopping...
- Learn 5 Ways the Cloud Will Enhance Your Professional Life in 2014
In 2013, we finally understood the cloud. Now we're ready to make the most of it. Online file sharing can...
- Users Hate to Wait: 8 Timely Tips for Speeding Up Your Website
Statistic after statistic shows that even a millisecond delay on your website can prevent you from converting customers, cost a...