News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Less than half of marketing pro's use analytics
With the number of channels a marketer has to manage and monitor increasing, you'd think technology would be employed to make their job easier. Not so. It seems marketers are foregoing analytics to measure their online marketing campaigns, found analytical-led software firm Alterian in its sixth 'Annual Marketing Survey'.
When asked about their use of measurement applications, less than half (47%) of the 1,545 American and British marketing professionals polled by Alterian said they currently use analytics to measure their online campaigns. Even so, 62% of respondents plan to increase online spending.
"With the current economic climate, it is refreshing to see results that show businesses investing in areas that can directly drive sales--essential in this marketing," said Alterian's CEO, David Eldridge, in a statement. "What is less encouraging is the low number of marketers who use analytics to evaluate and refine their campaigns."
The survey also found that 25% of respondents believe that analyzing results is the most difficult part of a campaign and that businesses use multiple applications to measure success will little, or no, integration. A quarter use more than seven applications on campaigns and just over half use between three and six applications.
"Multichannel marketing is commonplace in 2009, but the challenge for marketers is to measure the value and draw results across these various systems in order to provide a true picture of ROI back to the business," said Eldridge.
Results of another survey, this time from the Chief Marketing Officer Council (CMO), found marketers are also left wanting when it comes to monitoring and tracking social media conversations, despite acknowledging its growing importance.
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
- Study dispels myth that 15-24 year olds are the true 'digital natives'
- Top 3 tips to better optimize branded content
- Programmatic spending skyrockets through Nexage Markeplace
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
Featured White Papers
- Evolving Toward the Next Phase of Email
According to most corporate decision makers and influencers, email is the single most important application they have deployed! The typical...
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...