News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Is Facebook going gray?
Barbie's not the only 50 year old woman to join in the fun on Facebook. Along with the iconic doll, many older women are logging on to the social networking phenomenon.
Facebook is getting grays - not hairs but people, older women in particular. In fact, women aged 55 and over were the fastest growing U.S. demographic on Facebook over the last few months.
Since September, 2008, the number of women aged 55 and over has almost tripled to more than 717,000 - a growth of just over 175%. According to Inside Facebook's latest figures, the number of women over 55 on Facebook is almost double the number of men of the same age.
The average Facebook user is also getting older as the social networking site turns five. It is anything but the domain of college students and teens. Almost a quarter of U.S. members are now aged 35 and over and 45% are 26 plus. Those aged 18 to 25 make up 43% of users, while teenagers, often assumed to be the dominant demographic, account for just 12%.
Despite the enormous growth experienced by older demographics in recent months, those aged 55 and over still only account for 3% of the total active user base.
Perhaps some of the recently joined women were among the first little girls to play with the world's most famous doll? If so, they might join in the birthday celebrations online. In an effort to appeal to three generations of Barbie, who turns 50 this year, Mattel intends to give the plastic fashionista her very own Facebook page as part of a large multi-media campaign to celebrate.
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
- Study IDs disconnect between brands, consumers
- Consumers trust doctors and government with personal data more than they do advertisers
- Shoppers don't care for social integration of mobile apps
- 44% of Twitter's 982 million accounts never used
- Report: Travel sites missing the data mark
- Brands: How mobile wallets can improve loyalty programs
- Survey: SMB's need more tax education
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...