News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Is Facebook going gray?
Barbie's not the only 50 year old woman to join in the fun on Facebook. Along with the iconic doll, many older women are logging on to the social networking phenomenon.
Facebook is getting grays - not hairs but people, older women in particular. In fact, women aged 55 and over were the fastest growing U.S. demographic on Facebook over the last few months.
Since September, 2008, the number of women aged 55 and over has almost tripled to more than 717,000 - a growth of just over 175%. According to Inside Facebook's latest figures, the number of women over 55 on Facebook is almost double the number of men of the same age.
The average Facebook user is also getting older as the social networking site turns five. It is anything but the domain of college students and teens. Almost a quarter of U.S. members are now aged 35 and over and 45% are 26 plus. Those aged 18 to 25 make up 43% of users, while teenagers, often assumed to be the dominant demographic, account for just 12%.
Despite the enormous growth experienced by older demographics in recent months, those aged 55 and over still only account for 3% of the total active user base.
Perhaps some of the recently joined women were among the first little girls to play with the world's most famous doll? If so, they might join in the birthday celebrations online. In an effort to appeal to three generations of Barbie, who turns 50 this year, Mattel intends to give the plastic fashionista her very own Facebook page as part of a large multi-media campaign to celebrate.
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
- Online cash register bells will continue ringing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...