News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
comScore: Search term spikes reflect Americans' economic anxieties
Concerns over job prospects and financial wellbeing are being reflected in search terms, according to data recently released by comScore.
The Internet tracking firm noticed dramatic rises in certain search terms such as "bankruptcy", "unemployment" and "coupons" in December, 2008.
The search term that had the biggest increase in use was "unemployment benefits", with an increase of 247% over December, 2007, or around 748,000 searches, reflecting increased concerns about job loss and insecurity. Likewise, visits to online employment websites were also up 17% in January compared with the year before.
Other search terms that witnessed increased use were "bankruptcy", up 156% YoY to 2.6 million searches in December, 2008, and "foreclosure", up 67% to 1.3 million.
"Online behavior has come to reflect the interests or concerns of Americans, and we are certainly seeing this manifest itself with respect to the economic downturn," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni. "Search volume using terms relating to the economy has ballooned over the past year as Americans have become increasingly concerned over their economic wellbeing."
Coupled with employment fears, money-saving techniques were also at the front of consumers' minds. Searches for "coupon" doubled to 19.9 million, while "discount" rose 26% to 6.3 million.
- Top 3 annoyances for mobile shoppers
- Study: Black Millennials betting on themselves
- Top 3 tips to take Valentine's strategies year-round
- No age limit to looking for love online
- Goodbye second-screening, hello switch-screening
- Less than one-third of emails opened on desktop last year
- Ad Roundup: Platforms for sales, ecommerce
- Top 3 tips to get more from email on Valentine's campaigns
Featured White Papers
- Device of Choice for Online Shoppers & Buyers
Did you know that men shop and buy from mobile devices more than women? Being aware of nuances like this...
- 5 'Must Have' Tactics For Your 2016 Digital Marketing Plan
What are the 5 "must have" tactics that experts agree can help everyone's 2016 digital marketing?...
- Consumers Tell All, Part 1: Online Shopping Frequency
This report looks at how frequently online shoppers are making purchases....