News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
comScore: Search term spikes reflect Americans' economic anxieties
Concerns over job prospects and financial wellbeing are being reflected in search terms, according to data recently released by comScore.
The Internet tracking firm noticed dramatic rises in certain search terms such as "bankruptcy", "unemployment" and "coupons" in December, 2008.
The search term that had the biggest increase in use was "unemployment benefits", with an increase of 247% over December, 2007, or around 748,000 searches, reflecting increased concerns about job loss and insecurity. Likewise, visits to online employment websites were also up 17% in January compared with the year before.
Other search terms that witnessed increased use were "bankruptcy", up 156% YoY to 2.6 million searches in December, 2008, and "foreclosure", up 67% to 1.3 million.
"Online behavior has come to reflect the interests or concerns of Americans, and we are certainly seeing this manifest itself with respect to the economic downturn," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni. "Search volume using terms relating to the economy has ballooned over the past year as Americans have become increasingly concerned over their economic wellbeing."
Coupled with employment fears, money-saving techniques were also at the front of consumers' minds. Searches for "coupon" doubled to 19.9 million, while "discount" rose 26% to 6.3 million.
- How travel brands can do more with data
- Expert: What retailers need to know about EMV
- Study: Utility apps take most of ad spend
- Holidaymakers swindled out of £2.2 million in 2014
- Brits warming to biometric technology for online banking access
- Banks missing out by focusing mobile banking ads on television
- Top 3 tips to add personality to your targeting
- Will 2015 be The Year of Mobile?
Featured White Papers
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...