News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Forrester: Growth forecast for 2009 online retail sales
Despite the recession, online retail sales will continue to grow, according to new projections released by Forrester Research, albeit at a slower rate and at the expense of physical stores.
U.S. online retail sales are projected to rise 11% this year to $156 billion. Although this represents an overall slowdown, in the current economic environment it's just a small slide from last year's growth of 13%.
"Even as companies continue to struggle, the important take-away is that the Web is continuing to grow," said Forrester analyst Sucharita Mulpuru, who believes that the continuing growth in online sales will come at the expense of bricks and mortar stores. "It's taking wallet share away from the rest of the retail world."
Consumers are turning to the Internet for all their shopping needs as it provides a better environment to price-check, ensuring the best bargains at a time when money is tight, along with the convenience and cost-saving elements of being able to shop from home.
Online sales are expected to make up 7% of overall retail revenue in 2009, compared with 6% last year.
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
- Study: Mobiles don't want to be interrupted
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...