News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Forrester: Growth forecast for 2009 online retail sales
Despite the recession, online retail sales will continue to grow, according to new projections released by Forrester Research, albeit at a slower rate and at the expense of physical stores.
U.S. online retail sales are projected to rise 11% this year to $156 billion. Although this represents an overall slowdown, in the current economic environment it's just a small slide from last year's growth of 13%.
"Even as companies continue to struggle, the important take-away is that the Web is continuing to grow," said Forrester analyst Sucharita Mulpuru, who believes that the continuing growth in online sales will come at the expense of bricks and mortar stores. "It's taking wallet share away from the rest of the retail world."
Consumers are turning to the Internet for all their shopping needs as it provides a better environment to price-check, ensuring the best bargains at a time when money is tight, along with the convenience and cost-saving elements of being able to shop from home.
Online sales are expected to make up 7% of overall retail revenue in 2009, compared with 6% last year.
- PPA: Digital magazines boost demand for print editions
- Tapjoy: Ad engagements preferred by mobiles
- European silver surfers' media consumption moving online
- Social sharing call-to-action in digital ads drives consumer interaction
- Google Play in-app sales rise 700% YoY
- comScore: Desktop spending up 13% YoY
- Report: More ad dollars to focus on branded content
- Ads on YouTube grow but TV ads considered more effective
Featured White Papers
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...