News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Will consumers pay for an ad-free experience?
Consumers have never liked online advertising, and many ignore it, but would they be prepared to pay for ad-free versions of their favorite websites? Mike Vorhaus ran a survey for AdAge over the weekend to find out.
Mike Vorhaus believed that consumers would be prepared to pay a small yearly or monthly subscription for an ad-free experience on their favorite sites. He was wrong.
The vast majority, 84%, said they would be unlikely or not at all likely to pay for ad-free content. Just 5% said they would be very likely to pay at any level.
According to the AdAge report, "When we asked consumers if they would pay $39.99 a year, which comes out to less than $4 a month, for an ad-free version of one of their favorite sites, only 2.4% said definitely yes, they would be likely to do so. And only 3.5% said they'd be very likely."
Some might argue that, with consumers increasingly installing ad-blocker software, they are already able to control their online experience sufficiently - free of charge. AdBlock Plus, for example, regularly sees weekly downloads of over 300,000.
Also to be factored in is 'ad blindness' whereby consumers literally become blind to online ads. According to Jakob Nielsen this is particularly true of display ads. "Ads might as well not exist as far as users are concerned, except for search ads. For the longest time, the web has been in collective denial of this phenomenon," said Nielsen.
"People still have this old media thinking: They think of the web being similar to TV because it's on the screen and visual. The main distinction is whether it's active or passive, not whether it's on a screen or not."
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
- Expert Advice: Use in-store techniques to sell online
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
Featured White Papers
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...
- How to Maximize, Manage, and Measure Organic Search
Organic search delivers high-quality traffic and revenue with a high contribution margin. But organic search is hard, and it's getting...