News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Nielsen: Reviews read by 81% of consumers
Online reviews are becoming even more important when it comes to online shopping. According to a new report from Nielsen Online, consumers reviews are ready by 81% of online shopping. Reviews become even more important when you take into account that roughly one-quarter of online shoppers have spent upwards of $500 so far in 2008.
Even more important than reading the reviews is responding to them and 71% of those surveyed said consumers make them 'more comfortable' about buying a product. More than 60% replied that they read more than one review for each purchase. Only 3% are turning to people they know for reviews.
This indicates that it is more important than ever for etailers and manufacturers to include consumer reviews on their websites. By offering this to consumers sellers have instant customer relations because consumers can immediately read other's opinions.
"Consumer reviews are a must-have for online retailers, especially during the holiday season when shoppers are buying for others in categories they're less familiar with," said Ken Cassar, vice president, industry insights, Nielsen Online. "Perhaps more than any other time of year, consumers are looking for outside feedback for guidance."
The report also showed how consumers are using the Internet as a multi-channel research tool. One-third of respondents say they research online to compare pricing at various stores and 28% say they visit websites first to determine if an item is in-stock. Others are looking for the best deals (26%) or to get gift ideas (22%) and 12% are shopping online and picking up in store.
- How to use your CTA to drive email conversions
- Expert: How to improve personalization strategy
- How to use payments as a marketing tool
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and a new release
- Top 3 tips to use a loyalty program to build engagement
- Fewer people report suffering with information overload than a decade ago
- Third of businesses globally under-prepared for digital transformation
- Expert: Tipping point for personalization is near
Featured White Papers
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...