News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Nielsen: 80% of US adults have shopped online since May
Online shopping isn't going anywhere. According to the latest research from Nielsen Online, nearly 80% of US adults purchased a product online within the last six months. The majority of the purchases have been made in the travel sector.
Researchers found that 38% of the population purchased in the travel category; managing credit accounts online reached 36%. Consumers also purchased apparel (shoes, clothing, outerwear) and books.
Where are consumers landing when they want to shop? The majority are going to online auction hubs such as eBay or Amazon; these sites also consume the majority of time spent online. Consumers shopping on eBay, for example, spend nearly two hours on-site; consumers shopping with Amazon just over 20 minutes on-site.
"Most consumers see online retail as a primary benefit of the Internet," said Nachi Lolla, research director, commerce, Nielsen Online. "The challenge for retailers is no longer how to lure shoppers online, but how to differentiate their brand among all others. Heading into this competitive holiday shopping season, selection, price and customer service are the key areas retailers can shine."
Setting brand apart is all about the message sent. According to reports, retailers and marketers need to make sure their message doesn't change even though their sales do. If your message is 'low prices', marketers should ensure that pricing is actually low; if the message is 'quality' then make sure the products offered will stand up to wear and tear.
- Consumers rate email as most relevant and accurate of all channels
- Research: Silver surfers feel undervalued by retailers
- Global PC sales fall for sixth consecutive quarter
- Releases evaluate content, make file sharing simpler
- Responsys: Mobile pushing conversions
- How to build loyalty through games
- Weekend Shopping Roundup: Mobile hot, social is not
- Top 3 tips to improve SMB security
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...