News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Electronics and apparel purchases driven by new media
New media including blogs, videogame ads and product placement, are gaining influence with consumers, particularly among the much-coveted 18-34 age group, but traditional media's influence remains steady.
While traditional forms of advertising still wield the most influence over consumers, new media's role is increasing, according to a recent survey by the National Retail Federation and BIGresearch.
"As new technology places itself on the market, [it] is diverting attention from the typical newspaper and magazine advertisements," said Pamela Goodfellow, senior analyst at BIG Research, via Ad Age. "It's up to retailers to be nimble in knowing what the latest and greatest is to reach their customers."
The study looked into the role of new media in the purchasing decisions of 18-34 year olds, particularly with regard to electronics and apparel. Among these younger consumers, product placement was effective, with 18% of shoppers saying it effected their electronics purchases and 16% saying it influenced their choice of clothing.
In-game ads, blogs and text messaging channels were key influencers of electronics purchases with 14%, 11% and 9% respectively.
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...