News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
How to decrease ad clutter but still engage the consumer
If you think there is too much advertising clutter in the online marketplace, you aren't alone. Although most advertisers have very little control over where their ads are placed or how many ads are placed alongside, a new report from Nielsen Online shows how to get the most from a de-cluttered online space.
Although there is still clutter online, the report finds that teens (aged 12 - 17) are exposed to fewer ads than their adult counterparts. In fact, Boomers (those over 65) are exposed to the most online clutter. The study found that more established websites have less clutter (fewer ads) than smaller, niche sites; that could be the difference because teens tend to visit the same sites (MySpace, YouTube, etc.) while older surfers are more likely to visit smaller, niche sites. These sites have to sell more advertising to compete.
Nielsen has unveiled a clutter measurement service that could help marketers and content producers stop - or at least control - the clutter on their websites. The measurement compares actual content to adspace, giving users a good idea of what will appeal to consumers.
"The best strategy with this new metric is not simply to find Web sites with the lowest advertising clutter, but to leverage the right combination of Web traffic, advertising volume and demographic targeting," said Jon Gibs, vice president, media analytics, Nielsen Online. "While today's teens have grown up with a lot of advertising, for example, it is still important to advertise online at a clutter level they are comfortable with to ensure your message gets through."
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...