News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Nielsen Mobile: Texting vs. talking
The average U.S. mobile phone subscriber now sends and receives more text messages than voice calls, finds Nielsen Mobile in recent research, with a typical U.S. teen sending and receiving over 1,700 text messages every month.
While the number of calls made on mobile phones has remained steady over the last couple of years, the number of text messages sent and received has risen by a whopping 450%.
By the end of 2007, text messaging had just overtaken voice calls 218 to 213. By Q2 2008, an average mobile phone subscriber placed or received 204 calls, compared with sending or receiving 357 text messages, found Nielsen Mobile.
Perhaps unsurprisingly, a typical U.S. teen currently sends or receives the most text messages - around 1,742 per month - while making or receiving just 231 voice calls. Adults aged 18-24 had the second-largest gap in text-to-call ratio, 790 to 265.
Perhaps it’s time for marketers to more seriously consider the role of text messaging and embrace more SMS-led strategies. With more communication happening “on-the-go” it is easier to target consumers with timely and relevant messages and incentives, such as coupons for fast food sent during lunch hour or directions to a bar with a happy hour at the end of the business day.
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
- Studies: Shoppers want connection
- Brands: What to prep now for Thanksgiving Weekend
- Would your website earn Google's mobile-friendly label?
- Third of UK online retailers are not ready for the Christmas rush
- Study: Consumers find driving need to be always on
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...