News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
ASA: Publishers responsible for displaying insensitive ads
Regardless of how an ad is chosen to appear on a website, the publisher must take complete responsibility for that ad’s suitability, according to recent comments from the Advertising Standards Association in the U.K.
Ads chosen by an automated system like AdSense or Yahoo’s Publisher Network are required to be checked for suitability. Even though those ad systems are set up to match keywords to content, they can sometimes select ads that can be offensive and have little or no relevance to the webpage content.
A recent case in point is reported by Out-Law.com and involves The Guardian newspaper in the U.K. An article about the resignation of former Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf had an ad associated with it that advertised "Pakistan Girls in Photos at Great Prices" which was deemed inappropriate and a complaint was received.
"If ads are generated automatically there should be checks in place, people need to be responsible for the ads they show and they need to meet the requirements of the Code," an ASA spokesman said.
Google AdSense claims that it carries out work to minimize insensitive matches.
Publishers can also manage the ads that are displayed using the Ad Review Center which allows the filtering of ads by text or image and allows the blocking of individual ad groups and advertisers.
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
- Twitter launches lead generation tool
- uTest's Apphance shows 10 times more sessions
- New social network to connection non-corp types
Featured White Papers
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...