News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook tests 3 new social ad formats
Has Facebook cracked it? Will their new suite of “Engagement Ads” be the answer to social marketer’s prayers? Eight major advertisers, including Adidas, General Mills-owned Betty Crocker, and DreamWorks Pictures will be testing the first three new Facebook ad formats starting next month.
Reports are out that Facebook has added a set of new social ad formats to further engage users and enable advertisers to tap into the social scene.
The "Engagement Ad" formats are based on three common features of social networking – commenting, becoming a fan and gifting virtual objects.
The comment-style ads allow Facebook members to leave comments on ads, much as they do wall posts. The ad then spreads to that user’s newsfeed and can show a maximum of 4 comments per ad.
Brands can now create virtual gifts that users can share with the gifts-style ad, an activity that is already extremely popular on the site.
Finally, fanatical fans will be able to tell all their friends about what they love by becoming a brand fan and triggering a notification to their entire network.
Jeremiah Owyang, Senior Analyst at Forrester Research, broke the news of Facebook’s new ad formats on his blog, having recently spoken to Tim Kendall, Director of Monetization at Facebook.
“To combat dismal click through rates of traditional advertisements, these features emulate widgets and encourage users to increase member adoption, viral growth, and brand interaction,” summarized Owyang. “Brands will only succeed with these “WidgetAds” if they create content that puts community first, lean on new interactions, integrate with other tools, plan for the long haul, and change how they measure success –traditional internet advertising tactics won’t apply.”
- Study: What consumers really want from loyalty programs
- Top 4 Tips to Manage Relationship Between Developers, Marketers
- Survey suggests increasing interest in e-gifts
- Referral key way in which marketers find SEO services
- Social Roundup: Rolling out for Instagram
- Brands: How to engage Millennials in your work force
- Top 3 tips to monetize traffic
- U.S. presidential elections: Digital media use up, television still dominant
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...