News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
What's the difference between Gen X and Gen Y?
The differences between Gen X and Gen Y’s use of digital technology have been made a little clearer, thanks to a recently released report from Forrester Research. The new insights should help marketers play the advertising generation game.
In what is being touted as “the largest ongoing survey in the world to explore consumer attitudes, ownership, and use of technology”, Forrester claim to have hit on the big difference between the way Gen X (29-42 year olds) and Gen Y (18-28 year olds) use technology.
Gen Y, they say, are the true online natives and have integrated technology into their everyday lives. They spend more time online than Gen X, watch more online video and text message more often. Technology forms a major part of their entertainment and socializing.
"Gen Y is the audience that most companies are struggling to understand right now because it's key to their future revenue growth," said Charles Golvin, principal analyst at Forrester Research.
Gen X, on the other hand, tends to use technologies that support their lifestyle needs such as online banking and online shopping. They have hectic lives, with careers and families, and embrace the convenience of digital. While the number of Gen X’s reading blogs and using social media is rising, they still fall behind those younger than them.
Another way to looking at the difference in data is lifestage. Youngsters are often less concerned with organizing their affairs, financial for example, have more spare time to spend online than perhaps a Gen X with a family and may have less disposable income.
And let’s not forget, for some Gen Y’s, digital technology is all they have known. I suddenly feel very old.
- Study: Smartphone viewers more likely to click
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
- Five-fold YoY growth in contactless payment use in UK
- Marketing spend on social to rise from 11% to a quarter of budget
- Checking email chews up 6.3 hours per day
- Study: Content, page loads reduce brand trust
- Study: Personalization key for email engagement
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...