News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
What's the difference between Gen X and Gen Y?
The differences between Gen X and Gen Y’s use of digital technology have been made a little clearer, thanks to a recently released report from Forrester Research. The new insights should help marketers play the advertising generation game.
In what is being touted as “the largest ongoing survey in the world to explore consumer attitudes, ownership, and use of technology”, Forrester claim to have hit on the big difference between the way Gen X (29-42 year olds) and Gen Y (18-28 year olds) use technology.
Gen Y, they say, are the true online natives and have integrated technology into their everyday lives. They spend more time online than Gen X, watch more online video and text message more often. Technology forms a major part of their entertainment and socializing.
"Gen Y is the audience that most companies are struggling to understand right now because it's key to their future revenue growth," said Charles Golvin, principal analyst at Forrester Research.
Gen X, on the other hand, tends to use technologies that support their lifestyle needs such as online banking and online shopping. They have hectic lives, with careers and families, and embrace the convenience of digital. While the number of Gen X’s reading blogs and using social media is rising, they still fall behind those younger than them.
Another way to looking at the difference in data is lifestage. Youngsters are often less concerned with organizing their affairs, financial for example, have more spare time to spend online than perhaps a Gen X with a family and may have less disposable income.
And let’s not forget, for some Gen Y’s, digital technology is all they have known. I suddenly feel very old.
- BrightRoll, Marketron announcements offer more measurement
- Study: SMBs turning to multi-channel to engage
- Gigya: Facebook winning for logins
- Community Q&A: Do you need it? And how to use it
- Study: SMBs bride personal achievement over money
- DMA (UK) poll reveals most 'marketing friendly' social network
- LinkedIn: 300 million connected, 3 billion to go
- Kenshoo: Paid search continues double-digit yearly growth
Featured White Papers
- Learn 5 Ways the Cloud Will Enhance Your Professional Life in 2014
In 2013, we finally understood the cloud. Now we're ready to make the most of it. Online file sharing can...
- Users Hate to Wait: 8 Timely Tips for Speeding Up Your Website
Statistic after statistic shows that even a millisecond delay on your website can prevent you from converting customers, cost a...