News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
What's the difference between Gen X and Gen Y?
The differences between Gen X and Gen Y’s use of digital technology have been made a little clearer, thanks to a recently released report from Forrester Research. The new insights should help marketers play the advertising generation game.
In what is being touted as “the largest ongoing survey in the world to explore consumer attitudes, ownership, and use of technology”, Forrester claim to have hit on the big difference between the way Gen X (29-42 year olds) and Gen Y (18-28 year olds) use technology.
Gen Y, they say, are the true online natives and have integrated technology into their everyday lives. They spend more time online than Gen X, watch more online video and text message more often. Technology forms a major part of their entertainment and socializing.
"Gen Y is the audience that most companies are struggling to understand right now because it's key to their future revenue growth," said Charles Golvin, principal analyst at Forrester Research.
Gen X, on the other hand, tends to use technologies that support their lifestyle needs such as online banking and online shopping. They have hectic lives, with careers and families, and embrace the convenience of digital. While the number of Gen X’s reading blogs and using social media is rising, they still fall behind those younger than them.
Another way to looking at the difference in data is lifestage. Youngsters are often less concerned with organizing their affairs, financial for example, have more spare time to spend online than perhaps a Gen X with a family and may have less disposable income.
And let’s not forget, for some Gen Y’s, digital technology is all they have known. I suddenly feel very old.
- Study: Consumers text for customer support
- Study IDs what Apple Watch users are really up to
- Top 3 tips for better triggered emails
- Study: Look for more gift cards this summer
- Top 3 tips to make your email 'Pitch Perfect'
- Survey: Retailers aren't ready for EMV deadline
- PulsePoint: Content marketing, native future of advertising
- Ad Roundup: Bringing scale to online brands
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...