News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
ICANN: .anything is the next domain craze
Marketers, tighten those caps! The Internet is about to get just a little bit more exciting - or maybe the word is confusing. The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) has voted to open up the registration for domains such as “.anything” domains.
“.anything” domains are - literally - any domain extension that isn’t already taken and that has at least three characters. This would allow companies to own and host their websites at their own root level domain. For example, Google could rename their root level domain “.google” and could rename their other extensions accordingly, for example search.google or blog.google, leaving off the “.com”, “.net” or other three-character extensions that have been used for years.
This also means specific brands, for example Ziploc, could host a top level as “info.Ziploc”. Big corporations - like the BBC, the New York Yankees and even IMAX Theaters would likely not have any problem adding a vanity domain because consumers are already familiar with their brands.
For some advertisers, this is a great chance to increase their web presence, but be careful, without very strong brand recognition, marketers could also lose some consumers. Those who aren’t familiar with a specific brand may miss the boat because they wouldn’t know to log on to a “.myproduct” domain.
According to ICANN, it will be upwards of two years before these vanity top level domains are released for general use.
- Reports: Strong start to holiday season
- Expert: What will drive mobile in 2016
- More than half of consumers would pay for better customer care from preferred brands
- UK mobile email open rates at highest ever but conversions in decline
- More than three-quarters of all Black Friday mobile orders made on an Apple device
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...