News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Yahoo: Goodbye Microsoft, Hello Google
Yahoo has finally given Microsoft the heave-ho and before the phone had a chance to cool has entered into a partnership with arch rival Google.
The non-exclusive search advertising partnership is expected to generate as much as $800 million in annual revenues. It comes hot on the heels of Yahoo’s rejection of Microsoft’s advances earlier this year. Successful testing of their partnership in April seems to have paved the way for Thursday's announcement.
Details of the deal which appears, to all intents and purposes, to simply make Yahoo a reseller of Google ads, include:
- It only covers paid search and contextual ads, algorithmic search is excluded.
- Yahoo will display paid search results from Google, other third parties and Panama ads alongside each other.
- An initial term of four years with an option for Yahoo to extend for a further six years.
- Only applies in the U.S. and Canada.
Commenting on the deal, and after referencing today’s decision about Microsoft, Jerry Yang is reported as saying, “Clearly it is time to move on. We believe this agreement with Google helps us to do so by strengthening our competitive position and generating attractive financial benefits.”
- Top tips to capitalize on social apps
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
Featured White Papers
- Move Beyond Batch and Blast Emails
Like many marketers, you've included email in your marketing mix for years. But while email remains a vital channel, traditional...
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...