News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: Opt-in and opt-out procedures need improvement
Email marketers could do better when it comes to opting-in and opting out processes, and are missing golden opportunities for retention and data collection.
The number of email marketers that use a double, or confirmed, opt-in method when registering subscribers stands at just 30%, a low number considering the damaging effect spam, perceived or real, can have on a business or brand’s reputation.
Despite this, some marketers are avoiding double opt-in methods as they believe the extra stage will put consumers off registering.
Such are the findings of eROI’s annual “The Cradle & The Grave” survey, which this year involved over 520 email marketers.
It’s not just opting-in procedures that email marketers could improve. When consumers advise they wish to opt-out, a huge 90% miss the opportunity to put forward an exit survey to discover their reasons for leaving. Perhaps that consumer felt the email frequency was too high or the format annoying.
Likewise, eROI’s survey found that a third of email marketers don’t send an opt-out confirmation email which could offer alternative methods of communication or provide a final opportunity for the consumer to change their mind.
When consumers do finally part company and confirm their desire to opt-out, 30% of eROI’s respondents failed to delete that data from other systems that may have shared the consumer’s information, a situation which could breach CAN-SPAM compliance.
eROI’s report can be viewed online (.pdf).
- How to use your CTA to drive email conversions
- Expert: How to improve personalization strategy
- How to use payments as a marketing tool
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and a new release
- Top 3 tips to use a loyalty program to build engagement
- Fewer people report suffering with information overload than a decade ago
- Third of businesses globally under-prepared for digital transformation
- Expert: Tipping point for personalization is near
Featured White Papers
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...