News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: Opt-in and opt-out procedures need improvement
Email marketers could do better when it comes to opting-in and opting out processes, and are missing golden opportunities for retention and data collection.
The number of email marketers that use a double, or confirmed, opt-in method when registering subscribers stands at just 30%, a low number considering the damaging effect spam, perceived or real, can have on a business or brand’s reputation.
Despite this, some marketers are avoiding double opt-in methods as they believe the extra stage will put consumers off registering.
Such are the findings of eROI’s annual “The Cradle & The Grave” survey, which this year involved over 520 email marketers.
It’s not just opting-in procedures that email marketers could improve. When consumers advise they wish to opt-out, a huge 90% miss the opportunity to put forward an exit survey to discover their reasons for leaving. Perhaps that consumer felt the email frequency was too high or the format annoying.
Likewise, eROI’s survey found that a third of email marketers don’t send an opt-out confirmation email which could offer alternative methods of communication or provide a final opportunity for the consumer to change their mind.
When consumers do finally part company and confirm their desire to opt-out, 30% of eROI’s respondents failed to delete that data from other systems that may have shared the consumer’s information, a situation which could breach CAN-SPAM compliance.
eROI’s report can be viewed online (.pdf).
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
- Five-fold YoY growth in contactless payment use in UK
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...