News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: Opt-in and opt-out procedures need improvement
Email marketers could do better when it comes to opting-in and opting out processes, and are missing golden opportunities for retention and data collection.
The number of email marketers that use a double, or confirmed, opt-in method when registering subscribers stands at just 30%, a low number considering the damaging effect spam, perceived or real, can have on a business or brand’s reputation.
Despite this, some marketers are avoiding double opt-in methods as they believe the extra stage will put consumers off registering.
Such are the findings of eROI’s annual “The Cradle & The Grave” survey, which this year involved over 520 email marketers.
It’s not just opting-in procedures that email marketers could improve. When consumers advise they wish to opt-out, a huge 90% miss the opportunity to put forward an exit survey to discover their reasons for leaving. Perhaps that consumer felt the email frequency was too high or the format annoying.
Likewise, eROI’s survey found that a third of email marketers don’t send an opt-out confirmation email which could offer alternative methods of communication or provide a final opportunity for the consumer to change their mind.
When consumers do finally part company and confirm their desire to opt-out, 30% of eROI’s respondents failed to delete that data from other systems that may have shared the consumer’s information, a situation which could breach CAN-SPAM compliance.
eROI’s report can be viewed online (.pdf).
- Report: Email, mobile key to retail success
- Expert: Data key for financial campaigns
- "Fat" ads slowing down publishers' websites
- IoT making impact on business but barriers remain
- CPG brands spending more on digital ads than traditional
- Mobile video content more effective on publishers' website than social
- Email open rate in UK higher on tablets than US
- IAB: No YoY rise in UK ad-blocking
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...