News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: Opt-in and opt-out procedures need improvement
Email marketers could do better when it comes to opting-in and opting out processes, and are missing golden opportunities for retention and data collection.
The number of email marketers that use a double, or confirmed, opt-in method when registering subscribers stands at just 30%, a low number considering the damaging effect spam, perceived or real, can have on a business or brand’s reputation.
Despite this, some marketers are avoiding double opt-in methods as they believe the extra stage will put consumers off registering.
Such are the findings of eROI’s annual “The Cradle & The Grave” survey, which this year involved over 520 email marketers.
It’s not just opting-in procedures that email marketers could improve. When consumers advise they wish to opt-out, a huge 90% miss the opportunity to put forward an exit survey to discover their reasons for leaving. Perhaps that consumer felt the email frequency was too high or the format annoying.
Likewise, eROI’s survey found that a third of email marketers don’t send an opt-out confirmation email which could offer alternative methods of communication or provide a final opportunity for the consumer to change their mind.
When consumers do finally part company and confirm their desire to opt-out, 30% of eROI’s respondents failed to delete that data from other systems that may have shared the consumer’s information, a situation which could breach CAN-SPAM compliance.
eROI’s report can be viewed online (.pdf).
- SMBs: What to look for in your next device
- 3 ways analytics may be clouding your strategy
- Why brands need to know document search
- Half of cybersecurity experts say mobile payments are not secure
- Amazon the go-to place for consumers to search for products
- Which holiday season promos will motivate consumers to buy?
- Display ad revenues continue to rise despite ad blocking
- Mobile camera functionality key to capturing Millennials' loyalty
Featured White Papers
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...