News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Hitwise: MySpace takes 3/4 of the social networking pie
It may be the granddaddy of all social networks, but MySpace isn't losing any steam. According to a recent Hitwise report, MySpace still leads the social atmosphere, attracting more than 70% of social networkers in April.
During the month, MySpace accounted for 73.8% of social network visits followed by Facebook (14.8% of visits) and MyYearbook (1.3% of visits). Bebo (1.9% of visits) and BlackPlanet (.98% of social visits) rounded out the top five for US consumers.
The rankings are similar for returning visitors with MySpace, Facebook and MyYearbook still leading in market share for US visitors.
"Social networking websites continue to attract loyal visitors who return regularly to communicate with their friends, particularly for MySpace and Facebook, the market leaders," said Heather Dougherty, research director at Hitwise. "The growing number of applications and amount of content available for social networks are driving higher average visit times for the category, providing marketers with additional opportunities to reach these active users."
Consumers continue to spend large amounts of time with their favorite social networks. MySpace visitors spend, on average 29 minutes on-site. Facebook users spend just over 20 minutes on-site and MyYearbook users spend 32 minutes on site. Bebo users spend 30 minutes on-site while BlackPlanet users spend about 24 minutes on-site.
What this indicates is that advertisers who want to reach social networkers should advertise on the popular social networking sites. With consumers spending more and more time with their favorite social sites, advertisements targeted to those users where the "live" are likely to be viewed as more relevant than ads placed outside the social space.
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...