News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
On-page placement - the missing metric
An eye-tracking study, commissioned by MarketingSherpa, demonstrates that below-the-fold ad placements aren’t seen by the majority Internet users.
To discover whether on-page placement affected overall ROI, MarketingSherpa commissioned a study from Eyetools. The eye-tracking heatmap results demonstrated that placement does indeed have an affect on whether an ad is seen.
Ads placed below the fold weren’t seen by 75% of Internet users, the study found. Even ads placed above the fold were only seen by 60% of Internet users.
Media reports don’t currently provide information on where an ad is placed relative to the fold, unless buying premium placements such as leaderboards and skyscrapers. On-page placement would be a useful metric for marketers when assessing campaign effectiveness.
But, as Alexys Ruiz commented in a MediaPost article, while most marketers realise they pay premium CPMs for prominent placements, most don’t assume the trade-off for buying lower priced ads is that they won’t be seen by the majority of Internet users. “You're buying with the goal that your impressions will be viewed,” he said.
- Forecast: App economy to surpass $100b by 2020
- Report: Retail, tech lead for mobile video
- Report: Pressure is on for security pros
- High viewability goals damaging ad campaign performance
- Retail: In-app purchases increasing as a percentage of digital sales
- Two countries, two different spending trends for Valentine's Day
- Ad Roundup: Platforms to improve data, prevent fraud
- Survey: SMBs getting out the vote
Featured White Papers
- Consumers Tell All, Part 1: Online Shopping Frequency
This report looks at how frequently online shoppers are making purchases....
- The Ultimate Guide to Website Personalization
There is a wealth of methods to put your company's data to work; by far, personalization is one of the...