News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
On-page placement - the missing metric
An eye-tracking study, commissioned by MarketingSherpa, demonstrates that below-the-fold ad placements aren’t seen by the majority Internet users.
To discover whether on-page placement affected overall ROI, MarketingSherpa commissioned a study from Eyetools. The eye-tracking heatmap results demonstrated that placement does indeed have an affect on whether an ad is seen.
Ads placed below the fold weren’t seen by 75% of Internet users, the study found. Even ads placed above the fold were only seen by 60% of Internet users.
Media reports don’t currently provide information on where an ad is placed relative to the fold, unless buying premium placements such as leaderboards and skyscrapers. On-page placement would be a useful metric for marketers when assessing campaign effectiveness.
But, as Alexys Ruiz commented in a MediaPost article, while most marketers realise they pay premium CPMs for prominent placements, most don’t assume the trade-off for buying lower priced ads is that they won’t be seen by the majority of Internet users. “You're buying with the goal that your impressions will be viewed,” he said.
- Black Friday UK predicted to break £1bn in online sales
- Smaato: Spending on mobile web ads soars
- Study: What consumers really want from loyalty programs
- Top 4 Tips to Manage Relationship Between Developers, Marketers
- Android steadily catching up Apple on opens and clicks in E.U.
- Survey suggests increasing interest in e-gifts
- Referral key way in which marketers find SEO services
- Social Roundup: Rolling out for Instagram
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...