News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
On-page placement - the missing metric
An eye-tracking study, commissioned by MarketingSherpa, demonstrates that below-the-fold ad placements aren’t seen by the majority Internet users.
To discover whether on-page placement affected overall ROI, MarketingSherpa commissioned a study from Eyetools. The eye-tracking heatmap results demonstrated that placement does indeed have an affect on whether an ad is seen.
Ads placed below the fold weren’t seen by 75% of Internet users, the study found. Even ads placed above the fold were only seen by 60% of Internet users.
Media reports don’t currently provide information on where an ad is placed relative to the fold, unless buying premium placements such as leaderboards and skyscrapers. On-page placement would be a useful metric for marketers when assessing campaign effectiveness.
But, as Alexys Ruiz commented in a MediaPost article, while most marketers realise they pay premium CPMs for prominent placements, most don’t assume the trade-off for buying lower priced ads is that they won’t be seen by the majority of Internet users. “You're buying with the goal that your impressions will be viewed,” he said.
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
Featured White Papers
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...