News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
On-page placement - the missing metric
An eye-tracking study, commissioned by MarketingSherpa, demonstrates that below-the-fold ad placements aren’t seen by the majority Internet users.
To discover whether on-page placement affected overall ROI, MarketingSherpa commissioned a study from Eyetools. The eye-tracking heatmap results demonstrated that placement does indeed have an affect on whether an ad is seen.
Ads placed below the fold weren’t seen by 75% of Internet users, the study found. Even ads placed above the fold were only seen by 60% of Internet users.
Media reports don’t currently provide information on where an ad is placed relative to the fold, unless buying premium placements such as leaderboards and skyscrapers. On-page placement would be a useful metric for marketers when assessing campaign effectiveness.
But, as Alexys Ruiz commented in a MediaPost article, while most marketers realise they pay premium CPMs for prominent placements, most don’t assume the trade-off for buying lower priced ads is that they won’t be seen by the majority of Internet users. “You're buying with the goal that your impressions will be viewed,” he said.
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...