News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Online props up newspaper ad revenues
The struggling newspaper industry has finally received some good news, according to recently released data from the Newspaper Association of America and Nielsen Online.
Print advertising is under pressure and the U.S. newspaper industry is increasingly reliant upon the Internet to bring in advertising revenues.
With that in mind, many will sigh with relief this week as NAA/Nielsen Online report record numbers of visitors to U.S. online newspaper websites. The number of unique visitors increased 6 percent to around 60 million per month in 2007.
"Newspapers' expanding print and digital portfolio offers value to advertisers by providing a targeted, comprehensive menu of choices for today's discriminating consumer," said NAA President and CEO John F. Sturm. "As our industry's transition accelerates, it is clear consumers recognize newspapers as their trusted source of information in an increasingly digital environment."
A couple of innovative newspapers in the U.S. have even placed trailers on YouTube for major investigative reports to attract more readers.
While online revenues rose 21 percent to $773 million, print ad revenues decreased 9 percent to $10.1 billion. In Q3 2007, total newspaper ad revenues fell 7.4 percent.
- Olfactory device for mobile phones not to be sniffed at
- Report reveals impact of slow load times on brand perception
- Print catalogs continue to drive sales in Australia
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
- RocketLawyer: SMBs looking forward to 2014
- Survey: Marketers facing disconnect with content creation
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...