News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew identifies social networking gender split
Social networks are fuelling the rise in number of teenagers with personal information online, according to research by the Pew Internet & American Life Project.
Ninety-three percent of all teens are online, up from 73 percent in 2000 and 87 percent in 2004. And, in a culture where it’s increasingly the norm to create and share information, 64 percent of online teens have contributed to online content in one way or another, up from 57 percent in 2004.
Almost 40 percent of online teens share video, photos and other personal art, 30 percent write a blog, and 26 percent produced mashups, found Pew.
Pew’s research also threw up a gender split when it came to online social networking activities. Girls, it found, were far more likely to blog than boys. Thirty-five percent of all online teen girls blog, compared with 20 percent of online teen boys.
"Virtually all of the growth in teen blogging between 2004 and 2006 is due to the increased activity of girls," said the study (.pdf). "Older teen girls are still far more likely to blog when compared with older boys, but younger girl bloggers have grown at such a fast clip that they are now outpacing even the older boys."
Boys, on the other hand, traditionally being more visually stimulated, were more likely to post videos online. Just 10 percent of girls did so compared to nearly 20 percent of boys.
- Experiences - not amenities - create most social media chatter about hotels
- Younger consumers will share personal data in exchange for more accurate search results
- Forecast: App store spend to increase 33%
- Report shows Southwest winning digital airline wars
- Expert: Why unsubscribes aren't necessarily bad
- Study: Most want loyalty to be mobile
- Expert: Data key to video strategy
- Study: Half of loyalty club members want retail redemption options
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...