News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew identifies social networking gender split
Social networks are fuelling the rise in number of teenagers with personal information online, according to research by the Pew Internet & American Life Project.
Ninety-three percent of all teens are online, up from 73 percent in 2000 and 87 percent in 2004. And, in a culture where it’s increasingly the norm to create and share information, 64 percent of online teens have contributed to online content in one way or another, up from 57 percent in 2004.
Almost 40 percent of online teens share video, photos and other personal art, 30 percent write a blog, and 26 percent produced mashups, found Pew.
Pew’s research also threw up a gender split when it came to online social networking activities. Girls, it found, were far more likely to blog than boys. Thirty-five percent of all online teen girls blog, compared with 20 percent of online teen boys.
"Virtually all of the growth in teen blogging between 2004 and 2006 is due to the increased activity of girls," said the study (.pdf). "Older teen girls are still far more likely to blog when compared with older boys, but younger girl bloggers have grown at such a fast clip that they are now outpacing even the older boys."
Boys, on the other hand, traditionally being more visually stimulated, were more likely to post videos online. Just 10 percent of girls did so compared to nearly 20 percent of boys.
- PageFair: Adblocking Goes Mainstream
- Study: SMB's pushing the social media spend
- Report: BOPIS hot for the holidays
- Apps are asking users for too much personal data and providing too little privacy information
- Facebook statuses - now you see them, now you don't
- Expert: SMBs banking on themselves
- Top 3 tips to drive social gifting
- Mobile key for back-to-school finds survey
Featured White Papers
- Why the Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Do you want to see why marketers are outsourcing their writing? Read this white paper to learn how external writers...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...
- The Social Hunger: Why Your Audience Feasts on Social Integration
For the past few years, marketers have 'woken up' to consumers who have the power to express their views anytime...
- The 8 Critical Metrics for Measuring App User Engagement
Measuring and optimizing for the right engagement metrics is the key to attaining and keeping users. Whether your business model...