News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew identifies social networking gender split
Social networks are fuelling the rise in number of teenagers with personal information online, according to research by the Pew Internet & American Life Project.
Ninety-three percent of all teens are online, up from 73 percent in 2000 and 87 percent in 2004. And, in a culture where it’s increasingly the norm to create and share information, 64 percent of online teens have contributed to online content in one way or another, up from 57 percent in 2004.
Almost 40 percent of online teens share video, photos and other personal art, 30 percent write a blog, and 26 percent produced mashups, found Pew.
Pew’s research also threw up a gender split when it came to online social networking activities. Girls, it found, were far more likely to blog than boys. Thirty-five percent of all online teen girls blog, compared with 20 percent of online teen boys.
"Virtually all of the growth in teen blogging between 2004 and 2006 is due to the increased activity of girls," said the study (.pdf). "Older teen girls are still far more likely to blog when compared with older boys, but younger girl bloggers have grown at such a fast clip that they are now outpacing even the older boys."
Boys, on the other hand, traditionally being more visually stimulated, were more likely to post videos online. Just 10 percent of girls did so compared to nearly 20 percent of boys.
- 25% of smartphone owners have used mobile wallet technology at least once
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
- Studies predict strong holiday shopping season
- Unruly IDs the most shared videos of 2014
- Expert: Why marketers should watch augmented reality
Featured White Papers
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....