News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Teens research online, buy offline
Online marketers may be missing the boat with the teen set. According to a recent study from the Online Testing eXchange and eCrush, teens aren't buying online.
Researchers found that teens do turn to the Internet for research, or at least the Internet is where they find out about hot new products. However, when it comes time to buy, teens stick with their favorite haunt: the mall. Of the teens studies, 95% said they preferred shopping in malls rather than through catalogs or online venues.
Although teens aren't buying online, they do spend a lot of hours with the Internet. The study found that 65% of the teens surveyed find out about new products first online. About 62% said they found out about new products from friends, 54% found out from television ads 48% credited magazine ads with finding new products.
"People think about teens and the Internet, and get this idea that's where they spend all their waking hours, and it's just not true," says Bruce Friend, president for media and entertainment insights for Online Testing eXchange.
This is the reason marketers need to incorporate all aspects of shopping - catalog/online and in-store - in advertising campaigns. Though teens may not buy online, there is no denying the fact that teens have a lot of expendable cash. Offering them a place online to research a product could help their buying decisions once in the store.
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and a new release
- Top 3 tips to use a loyalty program to build engagement
- Fewer people report suffering with information overload than a decade ago
- Third of businesses globally under-prepared for digital transformation
- Expert: Tipping point for personalization is near
- Big brands found using 'dark UX' methods
- Video Roundup: New formats mean new opportunities
- Top 3 tips for chatbot, CSE integrations
Featured White Papers
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...