News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook shows 125% growth year over year
MySpace may be the grandfather of all social networks, but another social platform is catching up fast. According to new research from Nielsen//Netratings, Facebook posted the largest growth year over year for October.
According to the report, Facebook saw 125% growth from October 2006 to October 2007. This is likely due to the fact that Facebook only recently opened to public use; it has previously only been open to college or university students. Comparatively MySpace, which still has the largest number of users, showed only 19% growth.
The report shows MySpace now has nearly 59 million unique users compared to 49 million uniques in 2006. Facebook has 19 million uniques compared to 8 million uniques in 2006.
After the "Big Two" social networks, Classmates.com has the most unique users (13 million) but showed a decrease YoY of 2%. Windows Live Spaces is next with 10 million unique users, an increase of 32%. Rounding out the top five is AOL Hometown with 7.9 million unique users, a decrease of 15%.
Career social platform LinkedIn showed tremendous growth year over year (189%), growing from just over 1 million users in 2006 to more than 4 million in 2007.
With social networks showing continued strength, online marketers would do well to take notice of the trend. Social marketing efforts are beginning to take higher precedence among online advertisers but knowing where to advertise is very important. Following the growth trends among the different platforms will help when planning a campaign.
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
- Study dispels myth that 15-24 year olds are the true 'digital natives'
- Top 3 tips to better optimize branded content
- Programmatic spending skyrockets through Nexage Markeplace
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
Featured White Papers
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...