News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook shows 125% growth year over year
MySpace may be the grandfather of all social networks, but another social platform is catching up fast. According to new research from Nielsen//Netratings, Facebook posted the largest growth year over year for October.
According to the report, Facebook saw 125% growth from October 2006 to October 2007. This is likely due to the fact that Facebook only recently opened to public use; it has previously only been open to college or university students. Comparatively MySpace, which still has the largest number of users, showed only 19% growth.
The report shows MySpace now has nearly 59 million unique users compared to 49 million uniques in 2006. Facebook has 19 million uniques compared to 8 million uniques in 2006.
After the "Big Two" social networks, Classmates.com has the most unique users (13 million) but showed a decrease YoY of 2%. Windows Live Spaces is next with 10 million unique users, an increase of 32%. Rounding out the top five is AOL Hometown with 7.9 million unique users, a decrease of 15%.
Career social platform LinkedIn showed tremendous growth year over year (189%), growing from just over 1 million users in 2006 to more than 4 million in 2007.
With social networks showing continued strength, online marketers would do well to take notice of the trend. Social marketing efforts are beginning to take higher precedence among online advertisers but knowing where to advertise is very important. Following the growth trends among the different platforms will help when planning a campaign.
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
- Report: In social the ladies rule the world
- Research reveals consumers juggle multiple devices throughout the day
- Getty Images makes millions of images free to embed
- Americans abandon purchases in-store after 8 minutes waiting in line
- Euclid: February sales less than lovely
- How BrightTag re-engaged shoppers
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....