BizReport

RSS feed Get our RSS feed

News by Topic




BizReport : Research : November 07, 2007


Ads, not subscription fees, say Internet users

Consumers would rather tolerate advertising on websites than pay for access to content, according to a recent U.S. Direct Marketing Association study.

by Helen Leggatt

dma%20logo%202.jpgAlmost three-quarters of 1,000 U.S. adults surveyed by ORC International for the DMA’s study said they favored viewing ads as opposed to paying a fee to access online content.

Just 10 percent visited sites that charged a subscription or per-download fee. "The verdict is in - consumers have overwhelmingly responded to an open internet supported by relevant advertising," said DMA president and CEO John A. Greco, Jr.

When asked if they were aware that web companies tracked users and collected information for behavioral targeting 70 percent said yes. The remaining 30 percent was made up of mostly non-Internet users.

Websites are increasingly dropping their subscription charges in the hopes of attracting more users while making up for the loss in income with an increase in ad revenues.

Tags: ad-supported, DMA, online advertising, subscription fee










Subscribe to BizReport





http://www.bizreport.com/2007/11/ads_not_subscription_fees_say_internet_users.html

 

 

Copyright © 1999- BizReport. All rights reserved.
Republication or redistribution of BizReport content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.
BizReport shall not be liable for any errors in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.