News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Social networking sites hard to monetize
Making money from social networking sites could be a lot harder than imagined and would be a real turn-off for users, according to a new study by Parks Associates.
Almost three quarters (72 percent) of 18-25 year old users of social networking sites would discontinue using a site if a fee of just $2 was introduced, found the study titled “Digital Media Habits II”.
What consumers say and what they actually do aren’t always the same. For some, the websites are a second life and I would imagine it would take a hefty charge for them to abandon their daily habit and hundreds of online friends.
Forty percent said they would stop using the site if advertising was too heavy, posing a problem for site owners as this is currently the only way of monetizing social networking.
Apart from users aversion to intrusive advertising and subscription fees, social networking sites tend to attract a broad range of demographics making it harder to sell to advertisers. "Sites aren't able to sell a hodgepodge mix of consumers for very much," said John Barrett, director of research at Parks Associates.
"It's one size fits nobody."
- Survey: Productivity software helping SMBs communicate
- How to use community Q&A to increase your reach
- How to use organic social posts to reach non-fans
- Keyword carelessness inhibiting UK travel brands' discoverability in App Store
- Android ahead of iOS in mobile ad traffic
- BrightRoll, Marketron announcements offer more measurement
- Study: SMBs turning to multi-channel to engage
- Young adults more likely to Facebook their dining experience than review it
Featured White Papers
- "Abandon Cart Emails" - Why We Don't Buy
For this paper, sponsored by Magento and Bronto Software, over 1,000 online shoppers were surveyed about their awareness of shopping...
- Learn 5 Ways the Cloud Will Enhance Your Professional Life in 2014
In 2013, we finally understood the cloud. Now we're ready to make the most of it. Online file sharing can...
- Users Hate to Wait: 8 Timely Tips for Speeding Up Your Website
Statistic after statistic shows that even a millisecond delay on your website can prevent you from converting customers, cost a...