News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Social networking sites hard to monetize
Making money from social networking sites could be a lot harder than imagined and would be a real turn-off for users, according to a new study by Parks Associates.
Almost three quarters (72 percent) of 18-25 year old users of social networking sites would discontinue using a site if a fee of just $2 was introduced, found the study titled “Digital Media Habits II”.
What consumers say and what they actually do aren’t always the same. For some, the websites are a second life and I would imagine it would take a hefty charge for them to abandon their daily habit and hundreds of online friends.
Forty percent said they would stop using the site if advertising was too heavy, posing a problem for site owners as this is currently the only way of monetizing social networking.
Apart from users aversion to intrusive advertising and subscription fees, social networking sites tend to attract a broad range of demographics making it harder to sell to advertisers. "Sites aren't able to sell a hodgepodge mix of consumers for very much," said John Barrett, director of research at Parks Associates.
"It's one size fits nobody."
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
- Adobe: More online TV watched on smartphones than tablets
- Ad Roundup: Launches to increase mobile, social capabilities
- Zendesk: Brand promoters talk less, detractors talk more
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...