News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Forrester: Online ad spend to hit $61 billion by 2012
Get ready for a surge in online advertising. That according to a recent Forrester Research report, which projects that online advertising dollars will reach $61 billion by 2012, a compound annual increase of 27% over the next five years.
"As firms continue to make customer centricity a higher priority, they will recognize that maintaining separate marketing teams to manage different sets of channels that all target the same customers makes no sense," said Forrester Research Principal Analyst Shar VanBoskirk. VanBoskirk went on to say that companies will begin coordinating all ad campaigns through one marketing organization.
Those dollars won't come from just one channel. According to the report, as interactivity continues to increase, ad dollars will be spread over the entire interactive world rather than marketers focusing on one specific ad channel. That change will likely lead to more focused efforts from a more focused marketing team.
Search marketing is forecast to continue leading interactive marketing efforts, reaching $25 billion by 2012 (a 26% CAGR increase). Next will be display advertising which is expected to reach $14 billion. Following display ads is email marketing, which is likely to reach $4 billion by 2012.
After the big three advertising efforts will be online video ads. Video is expected to reach $7.1 billion, an increase of more than 70%. Social marketing efforts will continue to garner a nice chunk of advertising budgets and is expected to reach $10 billion by 2012 thanks to widgets, gaming and podcast applications. Finally, mobile marketing is expected to soar past $2.5 billion by 2012 as users continue to adopt online connectivity through their handsets.
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...