News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Transaction problems cause consumers to abandon website
Bad customer service and problems during online transactions are causing customers to go directly to the competition, according to a recent study conducted by Harris Interactive for Tealeaf Technology Inc.
An incredible 87 percent of online consumers have experienced problems with transactions. The figure has now remained at this level for three years and it’s causing untold damage to online sales for many websites.
Forty-two percent of those who experienced transactional problems abandoned the process or switched to a competitor’s website. A further 52 percent abandoned their relationship with a website after experiencing bad customer service from a contact center.
"We're in a 'perfect storm' as users' dependency on ecommerce grows and their patience for bad online experiences wears thin," said Rebecca Ward, Tealeaf's CEO. "More than a decade into ecommerce, we're increasingly savvy online consumers, and we're no longer willing to put up with experiences that do not live up to our expectations."
According a recent report on the Harris/Tealeaf study by Linda Rosencrance of PC World, the most common problems that users encountered when visiting banking, travel, retail and insurance websites were:
- Problems navigating the website – 37 percent
- Received error messages – 34 percent
- Problems logging in to website – 30 percent
- Received confusing, insufficient or incorrect information – 29 percent
- Endless loops that block transactions – 22 percent
- A search function that didn’t operate correctly – 21 percent
- Automatically booted off the page – 20 percent
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
Featured White Papers
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...