News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Transaction problems cause consumers to abandon website
Bad customer service and problems during online transactions are causing customers to go directly to the competition, according to a recent study conducted by Harris Interactive for Tealeaf Technology Inc.
An incredible 87 percent of online consumers have experienced problems with transactions. The figure has now remained at this level for three years and it’s causing untold damage to online sales for many websites.
Forty-two percent of those who experienced transactional problems abandoned the process or switched to a competitor’s website. A further 52 percent abandoned their relationship with a website after experiencing bad customer service from a contact center.
"We're in a 'perfect storm' as users' dependency on ecommerce grows and their patience for bad online experiences wears thin," said Rebecca Ward, Tealeaf's CEO. "More than a decade into ecommerce, we're increasingly savvy online consumers, and we're no longer willing to put up with experiences that do not live up to our expectations."
According a recent report on the Harris/Tealeaf study by Linda Rosencrance of PC World, the most common problems that users encountered when visiting banking, travel, retail and insurance websites were:
- Problems navigating the website – 37 percent
- Received error messages – 34 percent
- Problems logging in to website – 30 percent
- Received confusing, insufficient or incorrect information – 29 percent
- Endless loops that block transactions – 22 percent
- A search function that didn’t operate correctly – 21 percent
- Automatically booted off the page – 20 percent
- App Store hits 50 billion milestone, Google Play not far behind
- IBM: Mother's Day shopping goes mobile
- Service industry occupations not safe from technology
- How webrooming is taking over ecommerce
- Report: Strong digital presence key to success
- Report: SMBs falling behind in tech
- Mobile the boost loyalty programs need
- British Land: UK retail stores must adapt or die
Featured White Papers
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...