News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Businesses abandon Second Life presence
Businesses that were once early adopters of marketing in Second Life are now among the first to leave, according to a recent article in The LA Times.
Second Life residents who were against the invasion of commerce into their virtual world must be dancing in their virtual streets. The LA Times has an interesting article which claims some marketers are preparing to abandon their in-world presence.
The once-hyped online virtual world hasn’t yet proved a successful stomping ground for marketers. Or perhaps marketers haven’t yet found what motivates virtual residents. Either way, virtual stores stand empty, corporate events and promotions have fizzled out and virtual attacks are an increasing possibility.
American Apparel and Starwood Hotels, some of the first businesses to explore Second Life, are moving out. "There's not a compelling reason to stay," said Brian McGuinness, vice president of Aloft, a brand of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc., via The LA Times.
Meanwhile, Crowne Plaza has been upgrading its already extensive Second Life conference and meeting facilities.
- What Twitter's roll-out of Periscope ads means for digital brands
- Ad Roundup: Tools to connect shoppers
- Top 3 tips for B2B brands to harness purchasing power
- Channel 4 video-on-demand ads address viewer by name
- IAB: 2016 Internet ad spend breaks records
- Marketers say their role is to collect, not analyze, customer data
- Two-thirds of US, UK consumers worried about how brands use personal data
- Study: Marketers overwhelmed with data
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...