News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Content not the main culprit for email non-deliverability
Email deliverability remains the biggest challenge for email marketers and a recent study found that email content isn’t necessarily the culprit for non-delivery.
Lyris Technologies recently released findings from their EmailAdvisor ISP Delivery Report Card Q1 2007 (.pdf), which appears to debunk myths that recipient’s content filters are the primary cause for non-deliverability of email messages.
Just over 83 percent of all ISP mail is delivered and only three-quarters of messages make it into the inbox, found the report. Some of the top ISPs have the worst delivery rates with Lycos being the worst with only 41.7 percent of email received.
In terms of inbox deliverability, CompuServe came out on top in the U.S. with 88 percent. The top ten U.S. ISP’s managed 80 percent or more deliverability.
Other key reasons for low deliverability rates are heavy use of images and reputation. Images increase spam scores, and are caught by image filters. ISPs use user complaints to gauge whether to block incoming mail as spam so ensuring a good reputation for content and relevancy is essential, along with the adoption of authentication protocols, such as SenderID.
"Changing a few keywords in the hopes of boosting inbox success rates is no substitute for adhering to email marketing best practices. It's an oversimplification to place blame primarily on content filters when a campaign has poor returns, when in fact most delivery challenges are due to subscriber feedback," said Stefan Pollard, director of consulting services at EmailLabs, a sibling company of Lyris.
- Video ad campaigns with subtitles outperform in brand awareness
- Two-thirds of ad execs Google prospective employees
- 61% of brand content on Snapchat is video
- Survey: Trust influences more consumers to share information
- Expert: Travel next up for programmatic direct
- Expert: How to reduce involuntary churn
- New service alerts marketers when competitors air new TV ads
- 170% rise in ad requests containing location data
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...