News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Users choose multi-media over news content
News and media websites have another reason to be nervous about the ever-changing Internet: according to a new study from Hitwise, nearly 200% of past traffic has left news and media sites in favor of newer multi-media sites.
According to the Hitwise US News and Media Report, between April 2006 and May 2007, traffic increased at multi-media sites by 196%. Much of that traffic was because of a decrease in traffic to news and media content sites.
LeeAnn Prescott, director of research at Hitwise and author of the report said, search engines helped multi-media sites increase their traffic in the last year. "Search engines were more likely to be the first step for Internet users in their search for information about breaking events, and search engine results from news video services, video sites like YouTube, and blogs were more likely to contain the information they sought, thus hastening the growth of non-traditional news sources."
Google, in fact, sent 29% more traffic to news and information sites in March 2007 than in March 2006. Still, the report indicates that the market share for news and information sites decreased by 3.8% YOY.
News aggregators such as Topix, however, increased their market share. According to the report, there was an 81% growth YOY for news aggregators. Rural areas, especially, are more prone to use aggregators as their main source of information.
- Report: Over half of Millennials have or will use Bots
- Report: Finances key to engaging Boomers
- Top 3 tips to strengthen travel-based ad strategy
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
- Survey: Hispanic SMBs show strong optimism
- Ad Roundup: Partnership, integration to bring brands more
- Report: Super Bowl ads drove traffic into stores
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...