News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Podcasting a hit with young, male audiences
The early adopters of podcasting are a demographic that most marketers will want to latch onto. According to a recent comScore study young males are nearly twice as likely to download a podcast as young females.
comScore and Ad Infuse, a mobile marketing firm, followed podcast downloads in October 2006 and males aged 18-24 accounted for 63% of the podcasting audience while females of the same age range accounted for only 37%. The 18-24 age group in general accounted for roughly 29% of the entire podcasting audience.
But the young aren't the only early adopters of podcasting.
Nick Tabbal, comScore senior vice president of media and entertainment solutions said, “While the conventional wisdom says that only young, tech-savvy consumers are downloading and listening to podcasts, there is also a sizable market among 35-54 year olds, indicating that the audience is broader than previously thought.”
The 35-54 age group represents about 54% of the entire podcasting audience according to the study. The podcasting audience is also more affluent than the general online audience, with just over 30% making $100,000 or more each year and 47% having an advanced degree.
There are also more opportunities for podcast advertising, either through sponsorship of a specific segment or buying ads across the podcasting spectrum. With the audience growing to encompass two of the largest consumer bases, it seems clear that marketers should consider buying in to that audience.
- Study: Americans don't understand their health plan
- Study: Service virtualization can reduce risk
- Survey: Solo-preneurs on the rise
- Ad Roundup: Data, funding and a new video unit
- Retailers: Customer experience also about employees
- 3 Questions with Returnly
- Research reveals significant increase in online shopping
- Telehealth: Convenience driving interest in visiting a doctor via video
Featured White Papers
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...
- Twitter for Business: Everything You Need to Know
Using Twitter requires a lot more effort than just sharing a link and throwing in a hashtag or two....