News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Podcasting a hit with young, male audiences
The early adopters of podcasting are a demographic that most marketers will want to latch onto. According to a recent comScore study young males are nearly twice as likely to download a podcast as young females.
comScore and Ad Infuse, a mobile marketing firm, followed podcast downloads in October 2006 and males aged 18-24 accounted for 63% of the podcasting audience while females of the same age range accounted for only 37%. The 18-24 age group in general accounted for roughly 29% of the entire podcasting audience.
But the young aren't the only early adopters of podcasting.
Nick Tabbal, comScore senior vice president of media and entertainment solutions said, “While the conventional wisdom says that only young, tech-savvy consumers are downloading and listening to podcasts, there is also a sizable market among 35-54 year olds, indicating that the audience is broader than previously thought.”
The 35-54 age group represents about 54% of the entire podcasting audience according to the study. The podcasting audience is also more affluent than the general online audience, with just over 30% making $100,000 or more each year and 47% having an advanced degree.
There are also more opportunities for podcast advertising, either through sponsorship of a specific segment or buying ads across the podcasting spectrum. With the audience growing to encompass two of the largest consumer bases, it seems clear that marketers should consider buying in to that audience.
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
- Online cash register bells will continue ringing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...