News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Podcasting a hit with young, male audiences
The early adopters of podcasting are a demographic that most marketers will want to latch onto. According to a recent comScore study young males are nearly twice as likely to download a podcast as young females.
comScore and Ad Infuse, a mobile marketing firm, followed podcast downloads in October 2006 and males aged 18-24 accounted for 63% of the podcasting audience while females of the same age range accounted for only 37%. The 18-24 age group in general accounted for roughly 29% of the entire podcasting audience.
But the young aren't the only early adopters of podcasting.
Nick Tabbal, comScore senior vice president of media and entertainment solutions said, “While the conventional wisdom says that only young, tech-savvy consumers are downloading and listening to podcasts, there is also a sizable market among 35-54 year olds, indicating that the audience is broader than previously thought.”
The 35-54 age group represents about 54% of the entire podcasting audience according to the study. The podcasting audience is also more affluent than the general online audience, with just over 30% making $100,000 or more each year and 47% having an advanced degree.
There are also more opportunities for podcast advertising, either through sponsorship of a specific segment or buying ads across the podcasting spectrum. With the audience growing to encompass two of the largest consumer bases, it seems clear that marketers should consider buying in to that audience.
- Marketers say their role is to collect, not analyze, customer data
- Two-thirds of US, UK consumers worried about how brands use personal data
- Study: Marketers overwhelmed with data
- Top 3 tips for a more earth friendly marketing campaign
- Local Brands: Why SEO needs an upgrade
- Ad Roundup: Releases for content monetization
- In ecommerce, personalization missing the mark
- Product imagery on retailers' mobile sites lags desktop versions
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...