News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google patents in-game ad targeting methods
Just a few months after its purchase of Adscape Media, Google has filed a patent application detailing complex in-game ad targeting methods.
Google purchased Adscape Media in part for its ability to integrate advertising with a game’s storyline and plot. The patent application abstract states that, by monitoring a user’s in-game behavior and making inferences from that person’s online activities and preferences, ad targeting could be improved.
"Publishers are becoming more like media companies," said Justin Townsend, chief executive of in-game advertising company IGA Worldwide. "More games are being optimized for advertising."
Apart from collecting user data from game profiles, such as preferred car brand in a racing game or team in a basketball game, Google’s patent goes further by proposing the monitoring of game play and dialogue to ascertain a player’s state of mind, or predict a need. An example from the patent reads, “If the user has been playing for over two hours continuously, the system may display ads for Pizza Hut, Coke, coffee.” Even game soundtracks selected by the user can be tracked and ads targeted around specific music genres.
Concerns have already been raised around privacy issues. Sue Charman of online campaign Open Rights Group said, "I can understand why they are interested in this, but I would be deeply disturbed by a company holding a psychological profile.”
Speaking to the Guardian, Google said it had no plans to introduce any such technology in the near future stating "We file patent applications on a variety of ideas that our employees come up with. Some of those ideas later mature into real products or services, some don't. Prospective product announcements should not necessarily be inferred from our patent applications."
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...