News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
AOL ad revenues rise
AOL’s decision to provide free content and features supported by advertising dollars has lost them paid subscribers, but increased advertising revenues.
AOL recently announced a subscriber base of just 12 million, a dramatic decrease from its heyday back in 2002 when it peaked at 26.7 million users. AOL now sits below AT&T with its 12.1 million subscribers and Comcast with 12.9 million.
However, AOL’s decision to scrap paid subscription for broadband users has paid off in advertising dollars. AOL’s revenue from advertising has risen 35 percent during Q1 2007, although its parent company’s ad revenues fell 25 percent overall.
The company had envisaged a loss, to the tune of around $665 million, after the dropping of subscription charges. The move has gained AOL around 8 million new broadband subscribers since last summer and the free services has increased time spent online by around 50 percent.
"Clearly demonstrating the appeal of Time Warner Cable's bundled offerings, net subscriber additions accelerated over the previous quarter in every major service category," said Dick Parson, CEO of Time Warner, reports WebProNews.
AOL released the numbers yesterday along with first-quarter results of its parent, Time Warner.
- Younger B2B buyers' online purchase behavior ignored by suppliers
- Portrait of an affluent consumer
- U.S.: 41 billion online videos watched in May
- Accenture: Execs have tech, need talent to make sense of data
- Study: More people working on home To-Dos from work
- Study: Mobile users will wait
- SendGrid launches email service
- IAB UK: Fashion retailers perform best in mobile marketing
Featured White Papers
- Transforming Brands into Media Outlets
Storytelling has been around forever, but businesses today need to capitalize on a variety of new tools to tell their...
- 8 Key Plays For Sales Success
Pull ahead of your competition by learning best practices for incorporating these new technologies into your daily sales & marketing...
- How to Drive More Traffic Without Increasing Budget
Counterfeiters are adept at mimicking top brands' digital marketing strategies by building pay per click (PPC) campaigns that exploit both...
- Explain What You Do: How a simple explainer video increased online conversion by 20%
In this case study we examine the explainer video for Inbenta, a natural language processing service operating in a highly...
- 7 Reasons To Consider Responsive Design For Your Companys Next Generation Website
In this white paper, learn the 7 reasons to consider responsive design for your company's next generation website. With the...
- Forrester Report: Digital Customer Experience Trends to Watch 2013
Digital touchpoints support an increasingly large percentage of the overall customer experience. 2012 saw the emergence of several important digital...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...