BizReport

RSS feed Get our RSS feed

News by Topic




BizReport : Advertising : April 30, 2007


Yahoo buys RightMedia outright for $680 million

Yahoo already has a 20 percent stake in RightMedia, the online advertising exchange. Now they are set to acquire the remaining 80 percent in a move that will expand their advertising network reach.

by Helen Leggatt

right%20media%20logo.gifYahoo bought a 20 percent stake in RightMedia in October last year for $45 million. The amount being paid for the remaining 80 percent is $680 million in cash and stock. The purchase comes hot on the heels of Google’s $3.1 billion purchase of DoubleClick, and proves Yahoo’s ambitions go way beyond Panama.

Michael Walrath, RightMedia’s CEO, said in a blog post today, “Yahoo! will add considerably more supply and demand to the Right Media Exchange, increasing liquidity in the market and broadening the opportunity for advertisers, publishers, networks and technology providers alike to grow their businesses.”

RightMedia is an interactive advertising exchange. More than 20,000 buyers and sellers use its services daily. The online exchange allows buyers and sellers to negotiate deals for placement of online ads.

RightMedia was keen to point out that “the acquisition will in no way afford Yahoo! any unfair advantage in the Exchange”, confirming that the RightMedia Exchange would operate as in independent division of Yahoo.

The question is, what is Microsoft's next move?






Tags: advertising network, Google, Panama, RightMedia, Yahoo








Subscribe to BizReport







http://www.bizreport.com/2007/04/yahoo_buys_rightmedia_outright_for_680_million_1.html

 

 

Copyright © 1999- BizReport. All rights reserved.
Republication or redistribution of BizReport content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.
BizReport shall not be liable for any errors in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.