News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Wilfers waste time on the web
The internet has spawned a new group of individuals who aimlessly wander the web and who are not quite sure what they logged on for.
This new breed of users are called wilfers. They surf the web without any real purpose, often forgetting what they were there for in the first place. The term is derived from the phrase "what was I looking for?"
The U.K., it seems, is full of wilfers. Almost a quarter of the 2,412 Brits surveyed by YouGov for Moneysupermarket.com, admitted they had spent 30 percent or more of their online time wilfing.
Moneysupermarket.com's Jason Lloyd said, "Although people log on with a purpose, they are now being offered so much choice and online distraction that many forget what they are there for, and spend hours aimlessly wilfing instead."
Wilfers, it seems, are most likely to be distracted by the pull of shopping sites, followed by travel and news sites, with men being the biggest culprits. Surfers over 55 years of age were three times less likely to be wilfers than those under the age of 25, said the report. As marketers tune in to what works in attracting clicks, the eye-grabbing pop-ups and display ads are luring consumer attention away from their original purpose at a time when they may have an online shopping itch to scratch.
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...