News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Wilfers waste time on the web
The internet has spawned a new group of individuals who aimlessly wander the web and who are not quite sure what they logged on for.
This new breed of users are called wilfers. They surf the web without any real purpose, often forgetting what they were there for in the first place. The term is derived from the phrase "what was I looking for?"
The U.K., it seems, is full of wilfers. Almost a quarter of the 2,412 Brits surveyed by YouGov for Moneysupermarket.com, admitted they had spent 30 percent or more of their online time wilfing.
Moneysupermarket.com's Jason Lloyd said, "Although people log on with a purpose, they are now being offered so much choice and online distraction that many forget what they are there for, and spend hours aimlessly wilfing instead."
Wilfers, it seems, are most likely to be distracted by the pull of shopping sites, followed by travel and news sites, with men being the biggest culprits. Surfers over 55 years of age were three times less likely to be wilfers than those under the age of 25, said the report. As marketers tune in to what works in attracting clicks, the eye-grabbing pop-ups and display ads are luring consumer attention away from their original purpose at a time when they may have an online shopping itch to scratch.
- Ecommerce Roundup: Payment solutions and an email idea
- How for-profits can capitalize with non-profit strategy
- Study IDs most important shopper for retailers
- Study: Consumers text for customer support
- Study IDs what Apple Watch users are really up to
- Top 3 tips for better triggered emails
- Study: Look for more gift cards this summer
- Top 3 tips to make your email 'Pitch Perfect'
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...