News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Wilfers waste time on the web
The internet has spawned a new group of individuals who aimlessly wander the web and who are not quite sure what they logged on for.
This new breed of users are called wilfers. They surf the web without any real purpose, often forgetting what they were there for in the first place. The term is derived from the phrase "what was I looking for?"
The U.K., it seems, is full of wilfers. Almost a quarter of the 2,412 Brits surveyed by YouGov for Moneysupermarket.com, admitted they had spent 30 percent or more of their online time wilfing.
Moneysupermarket.com's Jason Lloyd said, "Although people log on with a purpose, they are now being offered so much choice and online distraction that many forget what they are there for, and spend hours aimlessly wilfing instead."
Wilfers, it seems, are most likely to be distracted by the pull of shopping sites, followed by travel and news sites, with men being the biggest culprits. Surfers over 55 years of age were three times less likely to be wilfers than those under the age of 25, said the report. As marketers tune in to what works in attracting clicks, the eye-grabbing pop-ups and display ads are luring consumer attention away from their original purpose at a time when they may have an online shopping itch to scratch.
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...