News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google's market share grows at the expense of others
U.S. consumers performed 6.3 billion searches during January 2007, averaging out around 36 searches each. Which website performed the majority of those searches? Google, of course.
In fact, Google handled and impressive 53 percent of all web search queries, up almost 5 percent from January, 2006, according to new Nielsen//NetRatings figures.
In contrast, Nielsen//NetRatings found that Yahoo registered a 0.5 percent increase from last December. MSN’s share fell from 11 percent to around 8.9 percent in the last twelve months, its traffic being lost to Yahoo and Google, and some of the other smaller websites suffered too.
Compete.com, on the other hand, puts Google’s market share slightly higher at 61.1 percent with 23.1 percent for Yahoo and 8.5 percent for MSN. In fact, there are slight variances between many of the major web metrics companies such as comScore and NetApplications. But whichever figures you consult, the overriding picture is the same - Google is outpacing everyone else and MSN, despite receiving major investment, are losing ground.
The recent launch of Microsoft’s Vista, which has MSN/Live installed as its default search engine, may yet see the search engine fortunes of the giant turn around, unless users bother to change it to Google or Yahoo.
- Reports: Online crucial for SMBs
- 3 trends to watch in social marketing
- Expert: How extreme stacking can benefit retailers
- Bing rejected 250 million ads in 2015
- Google reveals 180% increase in hacked websites in 2015
- 74% of UK retailers fail to follow up instances of cart abandonment
- Ad Roundup: Releases focus on data
- Survey: SMBs report good start to 2016
Featured White Papers
- 6 SEO Predictions to Plan for in 2016
To succeed in 2016, marketers must pay heed to a number of critical SEO trends, including how they go about...
- How to Boost Reader Engagement 300%
Building an audience isn't just about quantity: it's also about quality. How can you increase the number of readers who...