News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google's market share grows at the expense of others
U.S. consumers performed 6.3 billion searches during January 2007, averaging out around 36 searches each. Which website performed the majority of those searches? Google, of course.
In fact, Google handled and impressive 53 percent of all web search queries, up almost 5 percent from January, 2006, according to new Nielsen//NetRatings figures.
In contrast, Nielsen//NetRatings found that Yahoo registered a 0.5 percent increase from last December. MSN’s share fell from 11 percent to around 8.9 percent in the last twelve months, its traffic being lost to Yahoo and Google, and some of the other smaller websites suffered too.
Compete.com, on the other hand, puts Google’s market share slightly higher at 61.1 percent with 23.1 percent for Yahoo and 8.5 percent for MSN. In fact, there are slight variances between many of the major web metrics companies such as comScore and NetApplications. But whichever figures you consult, the overriding picture is the same - Google is outpacing everyone else and MSN, despite receiving major investment, are losing ground.
The recent launch of Microsoft’s Vista, which has MSN/Live installed as its default search engine, may yet see the search engine fortunes of the giant turn around, unless users bother to change it to Google or Yahoo.
- App Store hits 50 billion milestone, Google Play not far behind
- IBM: Mother's Day shopping goes mobile
- Service industry occupations not safe from technology
- How webrooming is taking over ecommerce
- Report: Strong digital presence key to success
- Report: SMBs falling behind in tech
- Mobile the boost loyalty programs need
- British Land: UK retail stores must adapt or die
Featured White Papers
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...