News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google's market share grows at the expense of others
U.S. consumers performed 6.3 billion searches during January 2007, averaging out around 36 searches each. Which website performed the majority of those searches? Google, of course.
In fact, Google handled and impressive 53 percent of all web search queries, up almost 5 percent from January, 2006, according to new Nielsen//NetRatings figures.
In contrast, Nielsen//NetRatings found that Yahoo registered a 0.5 percent increase from last December. MSN’s share fell from 11 percent to around 8.9 percent in the last twelve months, its traffic being lost to Yahoo and Google, and some of the other smaller websites suffered too.
Compete.com, on the other hand, puts Google’s market share slightly higher at 61.1 percent with 23.1 percent for Yahoo and 8.5 percent for MSN. In fact, there are slight variances between many of the major web metrics companies such as comScore and NetApplications. But whichever figures you consult, the overriding picture is the same - Google is outpacing everyone else and MSN, despite receiving major investment, are losing ground.
The recent launch of Microsoft’s Vista, which has MSN/Live installed as its default search engine, may yet see the search engine fortunes of the giant turn around, unless users bother to change it to Google or Yahoo.
- Brands: How to ensure rogue apps aren't damaging to you
- Top tips to drive purchases
- Brands: How to protect yourself in the app space
- 25% of smartphone owners have used mobile wallet technology at least once
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
Featured White Papers
- 4 Simple Strategies to Find Time for Creative Work
As marketers, we know our best work is fueled by time to think, brainstorm and explore different directions. But in...
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....