News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google's market share grows at the expense of others
U.S. consumers performed 6.3 billion searches during January 2007, averaging out around 36 searches each. Which website performed the majority of those searches? Google, of course.
In fact, Google handled and impressive 53 percent of all web search queries, up almost 5 percent from January, 2006, according to new Nielsen//NetRatings figures.
In contrast, Nielsen//NetRatings found that Yahoo registered a 0.5 percent increase from last December. MSN’s share fell from 11 percent to around 8.9 percent in the last twelve months, its traffic being lost to Yahoo and Google, and some of the other smaller websites suffered too.
Compete.com, on the other hand, puts Google’s market share slightly higher at 61.1 percent with 23.1 percent for Yahoo and 8.5 percent for MSN. In fact, there are slight variances between many of the major web metrics companies such as comScore and NetApplications. But whichever figures you consult, the overriding picture is the same - Google is outpacing everyone else and MSN, despite receiving major investment, are losing ground.
The recent launch of Microsoft’s Vista, which has MSN/Live installed as its default search engine, may yet see the search engine fortunes of the giant turn around, unless users bother to change it to Google or Yahoo.
- 'Commuter Commerce' worth £9.3 billion each year
- Research uncovers ways in which Millennials 'game' e-commerce
- Study finds that 'data for discounts' consumer behavior is a fallacy
- Ad Roundup: Solutions for ads, optimization, mobile work
- Top 3 don't's for telecom customer service
- Kahuna: Brands must engage for apps to work
- Research highlights effectiveness of in-app messaging
- Facebook tests 10-second video views and monetization
Featured White Papers
- The Big Impact of Big Data on Affiliate Marketing
If you are relying on affiliate networks you have no access to vital data to manage affiliate processes such as...
- 8th Annual Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report
Download the Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report for 2015 to find out about the latest trends, industry benchmarks and best...