News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Doritos ad campaign draws millions
Doritos issued an ad challenge to consumers in the run up to the Super Bowl as part of a carefully crafted marketing campaign. The result? Two million hits on the challenge microsite, three-quarters of a million unique users, 2 million video views and around a billion page impressions.
Those one billion page impressions adds up to around $36 million in paid media, said Jason McDonell, Doritos’ director of marketing and advertising. The attraction to consumers was being able to make and submit an ad for Doritos, the winning entry would be shown during the game. In the end Doritos aired two of the ads.
The attraction for Doritos’ 16 – 24 year old target audience was their involvement with the brand, creating a buzz around it and the potential for it to be aired. McDonell refers to the consumer involvement as a desire to belong or “belongingness”. It is this consumer desire to become involved and express themselves that is driving Web 2.0 in a climate of corporate worry that it could be just another fad.
The Doritos competition received over 1000 entries. The winning ad, “Live the Flavor”, cost just $12.79 to produce and received the most views, followed by “Checkout Girl” which itself attracted 850,000 views the day after the Super Bowl.
- How predictive tech may simplify engagement
- Survey: Mobiles look to devices before, during, after shopping
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
- App Annie: App stores' revenue gap closing
- Marin study reveals the effect of integrating search and social campaigns
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...