News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Doritos ad campaign draws millions
Doritos issued an ad challenge to consumers in the run up to the Super Bowl as part of a carefully crafted marketing campaign. The result? Two million hits on the challenge microsite, three-quarters of a million unique users, 2 million video views and around a billion page impressions.
Those one billion page impressions adds up to around $36 million in paid media, said Jason McDonell, Doritos’ director of marketing and advertising. The attraction to consumers was being able to make and submit an ad for Doritos, the winning entry would be shown during the game. In the end Doritos aired two of the ads.
The attraction for Doritos’ 16 – 24 year old target audience was their involvement with the brand, creating a buzz around it and the potential for it to be aired. McDonell refers to the consumer involvement as a desire to belong or “belongingness”. It is this consumer desire to become involved and express themselves that is driving Web 2.0 in a climate of corporate worry that it could be just another fad.
The Doritos competition received over 1000 entries. The winning ad, “Live the Flavor”, cost just $12.79 to produce and received the most views, followed by “Checkout Girl” which itself attracted 850,000 views the day after the Super Bowl.
- Reports: Strong start to holiday season
- Expert: What will drive mobile in 2016
- More than half of consumers would pay for better customer care from preferred brands
- UK mobile email open rates at highest ever but conversions in decline
- More than three-quarters of all Black Friday mobile orders made on an Apple device
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...