News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Doritos ad campaign draws millions
Doritos issued an ad challenge to consumers in the run up to the Super Bowl as part of a carefully crafted marketing campaign. The result? Two million hits on the challenge microsite, three-quarters of a million unique users, 2 million video views and around a billion page impressions.
Those one billion page impressions adds up to around $36 million in paid media, said Jason McDonell, Doritos’ director of marketing and advertising. The attraction to consumers was being able to make and submit an ad for Doritos, the winning entry would be shown during the game. In the end Doritos aired two of the ads.
The attraction for Doritos’ 16 – 24 year old target audience was their involvement with the brand, creating a buzz around it and the potential for it to be aired. McDonell refers to the consumer involvement as a desire to belong or “belongingness”. It is this consumer desire to become involved and express themselves that is driving Web 2.0 in a climate of corporate worry that it could be just another fad.
The Doritos competition received over 1000 entries. The winning ad, “Live the Flavor”, cost just $12.79 to produce and received the most views, followed by “Checkout Girl” which itself attracted 850,000 views the day after the Super Bowl.
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...