News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Doritos ad campaign draws millions
Doritos issued an ad challenge to consumers in the run up to the Super Bowl as part of a carefully crafted marketing campaign. The result? Two million hits on the challenge microsite, three-quarters of a million unique users, 2 million video views and around a billion page impressions.
Those one billion page impressions adds up to around $36 million in paid media, said Jason McDonell, Doritos’ director of marketing and advertising. The attraction to consumers was being able to make and submit an ad for Doritos, the winning entry would be shown during the game. In the end Doritos aired two of the ads.
The attraction for Doritos’ 16 – 24 year old target audience was their involvement with the brand, creating a buzz around it and the potential for it to be aired. McDonell refers to the consumer involvement as a desire to belong or “belongingness”. It is this consumer desire to become involved and express themselves that is driving Web 2.0 in a climate of corporate worry that it could be just another fad.
The Doritos competition received over 1000 entries. The winning ad, “Live the Flavor”, cost just $12.79 to produce and received the most views, followed by “Checkout Girl” which itself attracted 850,000 views the day after the Super Bowl.
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
- Top 3 tips to win with social this holiday season
Featured White Papers
- Move Beyond Batch and Blast Emails
Like many marketers, you've included email in your marketing mix for years. But while email remains a vital channel, traditional...
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...