News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Valentine's Day planners and procrastinators purchase online at work
Results of a new study about online buying behaviour in the run up to Valentine’s Day has been released.
The survey of a quarter of a million online consumers, by Oneupweb, took place between the first day of February through to the 12, February. Data collected was traffic figures on variety of websites, selling Valentine’s Day items such as flowers, jewellery and other gifts.
It turns out that Tuesday, February 6, was the peak day for Valentine’s Day sales, with most consumers using their work connections to make the purchases. Whether this is due to faster connections or privacy reasons is not clear, but similar results came out of 2006 holiday season shopping surveys. Perhaps surfers are hitting the shops at the weekends and keeping their online research for during the week.
The highest day in terms of online traffic to the Valentine’s Day sales sites was Monday, February 12 and purchasers on these days were usually subject to overnight delivery charges.
Pre-planning, research, procrastination or forgetfulness, whichever it is, websites need to be optimized and ready to go from the earliest to the latest moment, especially where search marketing is concerned.
“Make sure that your bid strategies follow the peaks - you don't want to be paying for keywords when you can't ship the item in time,” advises Lisa Wehr, president of Oneupweb. “Additionally, you don't want to miss out on sales on February 6 by being at the bottom of the list.”
The rusults of Oneupweb’s study can be viewed here.
- Study: Most want loyalty to be mobile
- Expert: Data key to video strategy
- Study: Half of loyalty club members want retail redemption options
- Unilever to up digital spend following display ad trial
- FreeWheel: Video ad views up 24% YoY
- Report: Post-purchase contact key for future engagement
- Ad Roundup: Customer-focused releases
- UK retailers need to improve returns process
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...