News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK puts new email regulation in effect
In an effort to cut down on spam and to weed out spamming companies, the UK has placed new regulations on email communications. At the start of the new year, the UK Companies Act Amendments of 2006 went into effect, with requirements similar to the US CAN-SPAM act.
As with normal business correspondence, UK companies are now required to disclose the company name, where the company is registered, the registration number (if there is one) and the registered address in transactional email communications. For other commercial messages, such as marketing materials or newsletters, a valid postal address and the company name should be included in the correspondence.
The new rules may seem simple to follow, but a study from CDMS indicates that about 30% of UK companies are still not complying with the original rules for email communication passed in 2003.
“This effectively puts them in the category of junk e-mailers, and associates them with a rising tide of spam, and growing consumer concerns over the security of their personal records," said Ian Hubbard, director of data services for CDMS (via DMNews).
It seems some companies have questions over what types of communications are covered in the act. For example, what about company representatives replying to an email list or responding to questions on a message board?
There are no answers to these questions, but it would help to be cautious. Include the required information in the footer of every email. Keep the same information on the contact page of your website and allow the contact page to be linked to and from any page of a blog that lists your company´s expertise or services.
- Two-thirds of ad execs Google prospective employees
- 61% of brand content on Snapchat is video
- Survey: Trust influences more consumers to share information
- Expert: Travel next up for programmatic direct
- Expert: How to reduce involuntary churn
- New service alerts marketers when competitors air new TV ads
- 170% rise in ad requests containing location data
- Brexit, Trump leave marketers skittish about targeting
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...