News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Newspaper websites boost market penetration
The flailing newspaper industry looks to be gaining a boost from their websites. According to a special release from The Media Audit, newspaper websites have helped improve market penetration by as much as 80%.
Bob Jordan, vice president of International Demographics for The Media Audit says newspapers are making impressive gains, thanks in large part to their websites. "As recently as 2003 just 30 daily newspapers had attracted more than 20 percent of adults in their immediate market to their websites. Our current numbers show 49 dailies have attracted more than 25 percent of adults and 30 dailies have attracted 30 percent or more," said Jordan (via Center for Media Research).
The New Orleans Times-Picayune has seen the largest web penetration with 87.3%. Other newspapers leading the way on the web include Omaha World-Herald (84.1% market penetration), Buffalo News (83.3% market penetration) and the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette (83.3% market penetration).
Placing the bulk of newspaper content online and in easily searchable databases has certainly helped publishers regain a portion of the market share, but adding "extras" - blogs and other online-only content - are keeping the readers coming back. According to Nielsen//Netratings, about 13% of the visits to newspapers sites are to read newspaper blogs.
The Media Audit's complete report will be released at the Newspaper Association of America Marketing Convention in Las Vegas, January 28-31.
- What Twitter's roll-out of Periscope ads means for digital brands
- Ad Roundup: Tools to connect shoppers
- Top 3 tips for B2B brands to harness purchasing power
- Channel 4 video-on-demand ads address viewer by name
- IAB: 2016 Internet ad spend breaks records
- Marketers say their role is to collect, not analyze, customer data
- Two-thirds of US, UK consumers worried about how brands use personal data
- Study: Marketers overwhelmed with data
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...