News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Toys, Books Highest Growing Online Shopping Point
According to new research, toys and video games are fastest growing product category in the Holiday eShopping Index. That category grew 49% from 2005 to 2006. Books and consumer electronics were also fast growers in ’06.
Nielsen//Netratings tracked visits to online shopping hubs for the week ending December 10th and found the shopping as a whole increased by nearly $100 million from $469 million in 2005 to $563 million in 2006. The findings also indicate that online shoppers are looking for specific items, likely hoping to cut down on time in crowded stores.
After toys/video games, books/music/videos were the second-fastest-growing category with 46% growth year over year (YoY). Consumer electronics ranked third with 26% growth.
Online auctioneer eBay led shopping destination points with 34.2 million unique visitors (12% growth) this holiday season. Amazon.com ranked second with 25 million unique visitors (2% growth) and WalMart.com ranked third with 13.9 million unique visitors (21% growth). Target (25% growth) and Overstock.com (13% growth) also saw increased traffic and buying this season.
Those top destination points may have competition heading into 2007, because they were not even close to the fastest-growing holiday shopping destination points in 2006.
MySimon.com ranked first with fastest growth with 124% growth, Columbia House had 118% growth from 2005 and 1800Flowers.com saw 98% growth from 2005.
The study tracked online shopping in the United States from home and work.
- How Facebook, AdWords can work together
- Study: Tuesday/Thursday are best days for sharing
- Survey: Bitcoin making more waves
- How predictive tech may simplify engagement
- Survey: Mobiles look to devices before, during, after shopping
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...