News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Toys, Books Highest Growing Online Shopping Point
According to new research, toys and video games are fastest growing product category in the Holiday eShopping Index. That category grew 49% from 2005 to 2006. Books and consumer electronics were also fast growers in ’06.
Nielsen//Netratings tracked visits to online shopping hubs for the week ending December 10th and found the shopping as a whole increased by nearly $100 million from $469 million in 2005 to $563 million in 2006. The findings also indicate that online shoppers are looking for specific items, likely hoping to cut down on time in crowded stores.
After toys/video games, books/music/videos were the second-fastest-growing category with 46% growth year over year (YoY). Consumer electronics ranked third with 26% growth.
Online auctioneer eBay led shopping destination points with 34.2 million unique visitors (12% growth) this holiday season. Amazon.com ranked second with 25 million unique visitors (2% growth) and WalMart.com ranked third with 13.9 million unique visitors (21% growth). Target (25% growth) and Overstock.com (13% growth) also saw increased traffic and buying this season.
Those top destination points may have competition heading into 2007, because they were not even close to the fastest-growing holiday shopping destination points in 2006.
MySimon.com ranked first with fastest growth with 124% growth, Columbia House had 118% growth from 2005 and 1800Flowers.com saw 98% growth from 2005.
The study tracked online shopping in the United States from home and work.
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
- Online cash register bells will continue ringing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...