News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Toys, Books Highest Growing Online Shopping Point
According to new research, toys and video games are fastest growing product category in the Holiday eShopping Index. That category grew 49% from 2005 to 2006. Books and consumer electronics were also fast growers in ’06.
Nielsen//Netratings tracked visits to online shopping hubs for the week ending December 10th and found the shopping as a whole increased by nearly $100 million from $469 million in 2005 to $563 million in 2006. The findings also indicate that online shoppers are looking for specific items, likely hoping to cut down on time in crowded stores.
After toys/video games, books/music/videos were the second-fastest-growing category with 46% growth year over year (YoY). Consumer electronics ranked third with 26% growth.
Online auctioneer eBay led shopping destination points with 34.2 million unique visitors (12% growth) this holiday season. Amazon.com ranked second with 25 million unique visitors (2% growth) and WalMart.com ranked third with 13.9 million unique visitors (21% growth). Target (25% growth) and Overstock.com (13% growth) also saw increased traffic and buying this season.
Those top destination points may have competition heading into 2007, because they were not even close to the fastest-growing holiday shopping destination points in 2006.
MySimon.com ranked first with fastest growth with 124% growth, Columbia House had 118% growth from 2005 and 1800Flowers.com saw 98% growth from 2005.
The study tracked online shopping in the United States from home and work.
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
- Report: In social the ladies rule the world
- Research reveals consumers juggle multiple devices throughout the day
- Getty Images makes millions of images free to embed
- Americans abandon purchases in-store after 8 minutes waiting in line
- Euclid: February sales less than lovely
- How BrightTag re-engaged shoppers
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....