News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Toys, Books Highest Growing Online Shopping Point
According to new research, toys and video games are fastest growing product category in the Holiday eShopping Index. That category grew 49% from 2005 to 2006. Books and consumer electronics were also fast growers in ’06.
Nielsen//Netratings tracked visits to online shopping hubs for the week ending December 10th and found the shopping as a whole increased by nearly $100 million from $469 million in 2005 to $563 million in 2006. The findings also indicate that online shoppers are looking for specific items, likely hoping to cut down on time in crowded stores.
After toys/video games, books/music/videos were the second-fastest-growing category with 46% growth year over year (YoY). Consumer electronics ranked third with 26% growth.
Online auctioneer eBay led shopping destination points with 34.2 million unique visitors (12% growth) this holiday season. Amazon.com ranked second with 25 million unique visitors (2% growth) and WalMart.com ranked third with 13.9 million unique visitors (21% growth). Target (25% growth) and Overstock.com (13% growth) also saw increased traffic and buying this season.
Those top destination points may have competition heading into 2007, because they were not even close to the fastest-growing holiday shopping destination points in 2006.
MySimon.com ranked first with fastest growth with 124% growth, Columbia House had 118% growth from 2005 and 1800Flowers.com saw 98% growth from 2005.
The study tracked online shopping in the United States from home and work.
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
- Expert Advice: Use in-store techniques to sell online
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
Featured White Papers
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...
- How to Maximize, Manage, and Measure Organic Search
Organic search delivers high-quality traffic and revenue with a high contribution margin. But organic search is hard, and it's getting...