News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Internet Exposure Helps Fan Fiction Authors Find Mainstream Success
Fan fiction writing is about writing using somebody’s else character. Generally, fans start blogging about their favorite characters from books, movies and TV shows. Fan fiction authors use known characters, but the stories and plots they write are their own.
by Patricia Bates
The rise of fan fiction is part of the spread of amateur created content online, from viral videos to music playlists and blogs. More and more, internet users have become used to watching videos posted by other users on sites such as YouTube and MySpace. Now, reading fiction online, mainly in blogs, is another extension of this trend.
This is changing the world of fan fiction, as internet exposure helps unknown authors find mainstream success. Some of these blogs are attracting unprecedented numbers of readers and in some cases, leading to book deals.
Increasingly, media companies, publishers and marketers are looking for ways to capitalize on fan fiction and its large audience. A company called FanLib is working with networks and publishers to create fan-fiction promotions and contests for books and TV shows.
- Top tips to capitalize on social apps
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
Featured White Papers
- Move Beyond Batch and Blast Emails
Like many marketers, you've included email in your marketing mix for years. But while email remains a vital channel, traditional...
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...