News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Hoax or Not Internet Vigilantes in China Hunt a Sex Blogger
In China, Internet Vigilantes continue the hunt for the author of a blog headlined “Sex in Shanghai: Western Scoundrel in Shanghai Tells All.”
The posting which revealed a foreign English teacher boasting of his sexual conquests of Chinese women enraged a Shanghai psychologist.
Zhang Jiehai, a member of the Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences responded in his Web diary with a call for “this piece of garbage” to be found and kicked out of China.
McClatchy Newspapers special correspondent Fan Linjun writing in the San Jose Mercury Newspaper, said the case of a foreign writer who goes by the Internet name ‘Chinabounder’ is only the latest example of internet vigilantes who stir up mobs, to ferret out those they perceive to be acting improperly.
As the internet frenzy mounts, The Associated Press is reporting that the blog was a hoax by a group of artists including a British man, two Chinese men, an Australian Woman and a Japanese woman.
However, Chinese Internet users who doubt that the blog is a hoax continue the manhunt.
In an unrelated report on the use (or abuse) of the Internet the Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau has reported that the Beijing police have closed down an Internet website that sold guns. It said 44 suspects had been arrested and 117 guns were confiscated.
This is the first gun-trading case via the Internet cracked by Chinese police this year. Xu Jingfeng, a police officer of the bureau said the buyers and sellers contacted each other through the internet and made payments through internet banks.
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
- Bazaarvoice points the way to authentic reviews
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...