News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Hoax or Not Internet Vigilantes in China Hunt a Sex Blogger
In China, Internet Vigilantes continue the hunt for the author of a blog headlined “Sex in Shanghai: Western Scoundrel in Shanghai Tells All.”
The posting which revealed a foreign English teacher boasting of his sexual conquests of Chinese women enraged a Shanghai psychologist.
Zhang Jiehai, a member of the Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences responded in his Web diary with a call for “this piece of garbage” to be found and kicked out of China.
McClatchy Newspapers special correspondent Fan Linjun writing in the San Jose Mercury Newspaper, said the case of a foreign writer who goes by the Internet name ‘Chinabounder’ is only the latest example of internet vigilantes who stir up mobs, to ferret out those they perceive to be acting improperly.
As the internet frenzy mounts, The Associated Press is reporting that the blog was a hoax by a group of artists including a British man, two Chinese men, an Australian Woman and a Japanese woman.
However, Chinese Internet users who doubt that the blog is a hoax continue the manhunt.
In an unrelated report on the use (or abuse) of the Internet the Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau has reported that the Beijing police have closed down an Internet website that sold guns. It said 44 suspects had been arrested and 117 guns were confiscated.
This is the first gun-trading case via the Internet cracked by Chinese police this year. Xu Jingfeng, a police officer of the bureau said the buyers and sellers contacted each other through the internet and made payments through internet banks.
- BlueKai rolls out 3rd party data options
- Reports: Social, Cloud offering assist to small businesses
- App Store hits 50 billion milestone, Google Play not far behind
- IBM: Mother's Day shopping goes mobile
- Service industry occupations not safe from technology
- How webrooming is taking over ecommerce
- Report: Strong digital presence key to success
- Report: SMBs falling behind in tech
Featured White Papers
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...